PDA

View Full Version : cant enjoy win 2000

asifkhan
03-09-2004, 05:23 AM
Hi
i have a very strange kind of problem. i cant install and run win 2000 and win XP on my pc. however i can run win 98 successfully on my pc. i have installed win 2000 a year ago and enjoyed it but now when i tried to install it, it gives a messege " exception raised or "invalid
page" or some thing like that and the screen of my pc goes blue. i have 128 ram 1G celeron processor and 40 HD. plz help.

Sylvander
03-09-2004, 06:48 AM
I'd guess your PC includes [some older] hardware that is all compatible with Win98 but not with WinXP or Win2000.

The Latest Windows XP Hardware Compatibility List
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314062&Product=win2000

LadyGrey
03-09-2004, 07:15 AM
Just my two cents here. I wonder about the RAM, is 128 enough to run W2K or XP? I think 256 is about the minimum for those, right? But as Sylvander says the hardware has to be up to specs first of all, then I really would think about more RAM. Take care.
LG;)

Sylvander
03-09-2004, 07:31 AM
System Requirements for Windows XP Operating Systems
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314865&Product=winxp

Windows 2000 System Requirements
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/advancedserver/evaluation/sysreqs/

Budfred
03-10-2004, 12:33 AM
64 Mb for WinXP is extremely optimistic. Most people say at least 256 Mb and 512 Mb if you want to run smoothly. The numbers for Win2K are more realistic in that you are running at minimum effectiveness with only 128 Mb.....

That said, there are any number of reason why you might be having trouble... Post as much detail about your system and the troubleshooting you have already done to get more ideas....

03-11-2004, 10:53 PM
Compatibility is not an issue here because it ran well before the problem. Yes 2000 and xp require progressively more memory than 98. It's the blue screen. Is the operating system software a pirated copy? thong

Budfred
03-11-2004, 11:19 PM
Compatibility could still be an issue. If the system was barely working when Win2K was originally installed, it could easily be failing now partly due to the minimal specs of the system.... Any other little glitch could b enough to make it go south...

Fruss Tray Ted
03-12-2004, 12:08 AM
Compatability and not meeting system requirements are somewhat 2 different things. If it worked before with W2K it was compatible in that it was using drivers for his board and various peripherals etc. Sys specs such as inadequate memory could have led to some corruption though.

it gives a messege " exception raised or "invalid
page" or some thing like that and the screen of my pc goes blue.
This does not sound like a clean install at all. If you are trying to install over another installed OS, that's when probs have the potential to begin.

The drive should get formatted and start anew or partitioned to do multiple boots.

But 1.9.1 has a point. If WinXP was installed and not registered, the time ran out, then removed and 2K installed, all without formatting, the errors may be due to that. I'd clean the slate if I had it.

Sylvander
03-12-2004, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by asifkhan
i have installed win 2000 a year ago and enjoyed it but now when i tried to install it, it gives a messege " exception raised or "invalid
page" or some thing like that and the screen of my pc goes blue.
The assumption is that he installed it on this same PC with all the same items of hardware connected, but is that true? Or has asifkhan changed some hardware since then?