PDA

View Full Version : problem changing display settings

apercen17
03-09-2004, 03:06 PM
Every time I go into CONTROL Panel and select DISPLAY to go about changing the desktop size:

every time I click the SETTINGS tab my computer freezes, every time.

I have a standard tower (NOT a dell, compaq, gateway etc) 1000mhz amd-k7 with win98se with all necessary hardware and software installed. I have a 3dfx graphic card w/ the best drivers I could find available installed (x3dfx drivers attained from voodoofiles.com).
----------------------------------

I have ran registry checking software, removed the video drivers (for my 3dfx card) and reinstalled them (including the onboard video driver), checked for viruses, ran scandisk, used ad-aware to check for any spyware/adware components which may have created problems (I AM CERTAIN IT IS NOT THIS AS I AM VERY CAREFUL WITH WHAT I INSTALL ON MY COMPUTER), and I have got nowhere. (I constantly run and have the newest virus definitions/updates available for McAfee. I have went through to make sure there was nothing which could have caused any problems in the MSCONFIG dialog, and made sure I have all my system settings setup properly (from what I know) and I have had no luck.

Does anyone have any suggestions besides wiping out everything and starting from scratch (this will remain as a last option; I have way too many programs and games installed to want to take HOURS to install all of them again.) I too have searched many places without any luck for my problem but remain in the same position as I started.

Thanks for your advice in advance.

shanmuga
03-10-2004, 10:28 AM
It's weird and you seemed to have covered nearly everything. Do you have this problem with any other control panel item ? Did you try running the SFC command ? If that doesn't solve the problem I suggest that you post a HijackThis log here for the experts to analyze.

If You don't already have HijackThis, Download Hijackthis from http://www.zerosrealm.com/downloads/hjt.zip.

Extract,and Press Scan.Then please save the log and Post that log onto this topic. DO NOT Delete or modify anything yet, as some of it is needed to keep your system healthy!

ski
03-10-2004, 12:03 PM
Also, check for any updates for Ad-aware, and then run it again.
And d/l and run Spybot and CWShredder. They may find spyware that Ad-aware can miss.

Finally, it's possible that the 'Display Properties' file(desk.cpl) is either conflicting with another file or is corrupted.
Start in Safe mode, and see if 'Display Properties' opens ok. If it does, then do a clean boot to troubleshoot it:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q192926
If it also freezes the computer in Safe mode and you have thw Windows installation CD, then replace the file using 'System File Checker'.

apercen17
03-10-2004, 03:42 PM
Here are the results of the Hijackthis log Ski :

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
Scan saved at 12:37:52 PM, on 3/10/04
Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
F:\PROGRAMS\BLACKICE\BLACKD.EXE
F:\PROGRAMS\BLACKICE\RAPAPP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RPCSS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\AGENT\MCAGENT.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\PESTPATROL\PPCONTROL.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\PESTPATROL\PPMEMCHECK.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\PESTPATROL\COOKIEPATROL.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCVSESCN.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\ptsnoop.exe
C:\PROGRAM FILES\3DFX INTERACTIVE\3DFX TOOLS\APPS\3DFXMAN.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
F:\PROGRAM FILES\IOLO\SYSTEM MECHANIC 4 PROFESSIONAL\POPUPSTOPPER.EXE
F:\PROGRAMS\REMINDME\REMINDME.EXE
F:\PROGRAMS\BLACKICE\BLACKICE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCVSSHLD.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCVSRTE.EXE
F:\PROGRAMS\YAHOO!\MESSENGER\YPAGER.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCVSFTSN.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\IEXPLORE.EXE
F:\PROGRAMS\REGETPRO\REGETPRO.EXE
D:\TEMP\RAR$EX01.516\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://81.211.105.43/search.php?v=5
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://81.211.105.43/index.php?v=5
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - F:\PROGRAMS\ADOBE\ACROBAT 6.0\READER\ACTIVEX\ACROIEHELPER.DLL
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {16664845-0E00-11D2-8059-000000000000} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\REGET SHARED\CATCHER.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O3 - Toolbar: McAfee VirusScan - {BA52B914-B692-46c4-B683-905236F6F655} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCVSSHL.DLL
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VSOCheckTask] "C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCMNHDLR.EXE" /checktask
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VirusScan Online] "C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\mcvsshld.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\AGENT\mcagent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\AGENT\MCUPDATE.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PestPatrol Control Center] C:\Program Files\PestPatrol\PPControl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PPMemCheck] C:\PROGRA~1\PESTPA~1\PPMemCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CookiePatrol] C:\PROGRA~1\PESTPA~1\CookiePatrol.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CountrySelection] pctptt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PTSNOOP] ptsnoop.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [3dfx Tools] rundll32.exe 3dfxCmn.dll,CMNUpdateOnBoot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [3dfx Task Manager] "C:\Program Files\3dfx Interactive\3dfx Tools\Apps\3dfxMan.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StillImageMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CleanUp] C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\SHARED\MCAPPINS.EXE /v=3 /cleanup
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadBlackD] "F:\PROGRAMS\BLACKICE\BLACKD.EXE"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [RapApp] F:\PROGRAMS\BLACKICE\RAPAPP.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [McVsRte] C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\mcvsrte.exe /embedding
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [System Mechanic Popup Stopper] "F:\PROGRAM FILES\IOLO\SYSTEM MECHANIC 4 PROFESSIONAL\POPUPSTOPPER.EXE"
O4 - Startup: RemindMe.lnk = F:\programs\RemindMe\REMINDME.EXE
O4 - Startup: BlackICE PC Protection.lnk = F:\programs\BlackIce\blackice.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download A&ll by ReGet Pro - C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\REGET SHARED\CC_All.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Do&wnload by ReGet Pro - C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\REGET SHARED\CC_Link.htm
O9 - Extra button: Messenger (HKLM)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger (HKLM)
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab
O16 - DPF: Yahoo! Pool 2 - http://download.games.yahoo.com/games/clients/y/potc_x.cab
O16 - DPF: {E855A2D4-987E-4F3B-A51C-64D10A7E2479} (EPSImageControl Class) - http://tools.ebayimg.com/eps/activex/EPSControl_v1-0-3-0.cab

Ski I will try the Safe Mode idea you mentioned and get back to you on that

apercen17
03-10-2004, 05:54 PM
Ahhh.... as per the results for Safe Mode->->->

I had no problems going into the SETTINGS in Safe Mode for DISPLAY.

In addition I do not have any problems with any other CONTROL PANEL items; they all work fine. I did not try running the SFC command (as far as I know) because I really don't know what that is [Safe Mode Command?????].

as for all the spyware---> I have found none and I have used
Ad-Aware
Spybot - Search and Destroy
PestPatrol

hm......

Sylvander
03-10-2004, 06:18 PM
SFC = System File Checker
To run it type "SFC" [without the inverted commas] in the "Start>Run>Open" box.

It keeps track of the changes in system files, but you must update regularly within SFC if you want it to tell you which files have recently been changed.
It will tell you [since last you updated the record] which files have been deleted; which have been updated; which new files have been added; which files have been replaced by older versions!
So you should only really update when all's well and just ok everything, since you won't know whether the changes are ok or not.
It includes the facility to extract a [system] file from a Windows cabinet file.

This reminds me to update mine.

ski
03-10-2004, 07:07 PM
If Display opens in Safe mode, then recommend that you do a clean boot to troubleshoot the problem.

Budfred
03-10-2004, 09:56 PM
It appears that you have CoolWebSearch which is a particularly nasty trojan... Please download and run CWShredder. Close your browser before running it and choose to FIX. Record the report it creates to post back here, then reboot and run HJT again. Post the new log here so we can see if it is clean....

apercen17
03-11-2004, 12:59 AM
Here is the hopefully new and improved hijackthis log

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
Scan saved at 9:54:12 PM, on 3/10/04
Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
F:\PROGRAMS\BLACKICE\BLACKD.EXE
F:\PROGRAMS\BLACKICE\RAPAPP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCVSRTE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RPCSS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCVSSHLD.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\AGENT\MCAGENT.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCVSESCN.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\ptsnoop.exe
C:\PROGRAM FILES\3DFX INTERACTIVE\3DFX TOOLS\APPS\3DFXMAN.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
F:\PROGRAM FILES\IOLO\SYSTEM MECHANIC 4 PROFESSIONAL\POPUPSTOPPER.EXE
F:\PROGRAMS\REMINDME\REMINDME.EXE
F:\PROGRAMS\BLACKICE\BLACKICE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
F:\PROGRAMS\REGETPRO\REGETPRO.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\PESTPATROL\PPCONTROL.EXE
F:\PROGRAMS\YAHOO!\MESSENGER\YPAGER.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCVSFTSN.EXE
F:\PROGRAMS\WINRAR\WINRAR.EXE
D:\TEMP\RAR$EX05.377\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - F:\PROGRAMS\ADOBE\ACROBAT 6.0\READER\ACTIVEX\ACROIEHELPER.DLL
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {16664845-0E00-11D2-8059-000000000000} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\REGET SHARED\CATCHER.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O3 - Toolbar: McAfee VirusScan - {BA52B914-B692-46c4-B683-905236F6F655} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCVSSHL.DLL
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VSOCheckTask] "C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCMNHDLR.EXE" /checktask
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VirusScan Online] "C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\mcvsshld.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\AGENT\mcagent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\AGENT\MCUPDATE.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PestPatrol Control Center] C:\Program Files\PestPatrol\PPControl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PPMemCheck] C:\PROGRA~1\PESTPA~1\PPMemCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CookiePatrol] C:\PROGRA~1\PESTPA~1\CookiePatrol.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CountrySelection] pctptt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PTSNOOP] ptsnoop.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [3dfx Tools] rundll32.exe 3dfxCmn.dll,CMNUpdateOnBoot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [3dfx Task Manager] "C:\Program Files\3dfx Interactive\3dfx Tools\Apps\3dfxMan.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StillImageMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadBlackD] "F:\PROGRAMS\BLACKICE\BLACKD.EXE"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [RapApp] F:\PROGRAMS\BLACKICE\RAPAPP.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [McVsRte] C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\mcvsrte.exe /embedding
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [System Mechanic Popup Stopper] "F:\PROGRAM FILES\IOLO\SYSTEM MECHANIC 4 PROFESSIONAL\POPUPSTOPPER.EXE"
O4 - Startup: RemindMe.lnk = F:\programs\RemindMe\REMINDME.EXE
O4 - Startup: BlackICE PC Protection.lnk = F:\programs\BlackIce\blackice.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download A&ll by ReGet Pro - C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\REGET SHARED\CC_All.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Do&wnload by ReGet Pro - C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\REGET SHARED\CC_Link.htm
O9 - Extra button: Messenger (HKLM)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger (HKLM)
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab
O16 - DPF: Yahoo! Pool 2 - http://download.games.yahoo.com/games/clients/y/potc_x.cab
O16 - DPF: {E855A2D4-987E-4F3B-A51C-64D10A7E2479} (EPSImageControl Class) - http://tools.ebayimg.com/eps/activex/EPSControl_v1-0-3-0.cab

thanks bros

ski I will take you up on your clean reboot idea and get back to you about who the culprit is for my display settings problem

Budfred
03-11-2004, 01:07 AM
Your log looks clean now, how is your original problem going?????

apercen17
03-11-2004, 01:53 AM
Well Budfred... I think I have found the problem.

It was a legitimate program that was creating my problems. I had to go into MSCONFIG and I got to the point that I have narrowed it down to 1/2 components of the same program---->Black Ice PC Protection

In the msconfig the components of BlackIce that start up are:
BLACKICE.EXE
RAPAPP.EXE
BLACKD.EXE

I am certain that it is either one of the last components of the program. Thus either RAPAPP.EXE or BLACKD.EXE----> and that just isn't a good thing considering it is my firewall program

Keep in mind that if I do not enable RAPAPP.EXE or BLACKD.EXE in msconfig and then click the BlackIce tray icon and start the engine and application protection then I am still able to change my desktop DISPLAY SETTINGS.

However when I enable them in MSCONFIG to startup then the SEETINGS tab in DISPLAY freezes up!!!

.... very interesting

thanks for the help

ski
03-11-2004, 09:17 AM
Uninstall and reinstall Black Ice.
If that does not help, then consider using an different firewall, like Zone Alarm.

Quantax
03-11-2004, 03:58 PM
I seem to recall that Gibson from www.grc.com once was pretty critical of the Black Ice firewall claiming that they weren't cooperative when he wanted to test out the program's efficacy(I think they eventually did later). Not that that should alone discourage someone from using, but I myself never have.

apercen17
03-11-2004, 05:32 PM
A very interesting point you make... I am seriously considering trashing this firewall. This whole not able to change the display settings is not a good thing.

I am certain I have found the problem.

BLACKD.EXE is the culprit. I think it is the application control module that seems to freeze up the computer for whatever reason. Apparently the DISPLAY SETTINGS tab is just too much for this program to handle... and that does not impress me at all.

Budfred
03-11-2004, 07:36 PM
I used to use BlackIce and removed it a couple of years ago because of all the problems it was causing me. I now use a version of Sygate and have also used ZoneAlarm. Kerio is a good choice as well...

apercen17
03-11-2004, 08:35 PM
Yea, I think I'm going to get rid of BlackIce this evening as soon as I find another firewall I would like to use instead. I've tried ZoneAlarm without any problems before and I have heard of Sygate I might revert back to my old ways or be adventurous and try a new firewall!!!!

Decisions decisions...