PDA

View Full Version : AIM and Netscape

josemavicente
03-10-2004, 05:22 AM
i downloaded the latest versio nof AIM and then Netscape and i accidentally installed activated AIM ON Netscape. thus, i keep on receiving two messages of the same kind.

if i delete AIM on windows, will it delete netscape's aim?

shanmuga
03-10-2004, 09:12 AM
I am not very familiar with netscape. In versions 4.xx there used to be an option for disabling AIM from starting up with the windows.... or Can't you just run the netscape setup again and choose not to install the AIM ?

I am afraid that uninstalling AIM from add/remove programs will only remove windows version, not the netscape one.

There used to be a registry solution and an utility for removing AIM from Netscape......

jabarnutcase
03-10-2004, 10:35 AM
I would just "go for it" so to speak....Uninstall the program in add/ remove and see what happens.

I believe, as shanmuga mentioned, there is an option in Netscape somewhere to either disable it or at least not have it load as your default messaging software.....Or just uninstall all remnants of it and start over.

While you're at it, you may want to look at the thread below....As you may have noticed when you installed the Program, besides all the extra crap it put on your desktop- (Some of them shortcuts to .exe programs for Broadband etc.), it also installed "Viewpoint Media Player" and "Wild Tangent" Spyware/Adware- Something you should remove. (You can do so without losing the use of AIM)

I would advise you to run Spybot and Adaware....You'll see what I mean.

Besides the link below, which I already knew about, the other reason I know this is because I downloaded the latest version myself on (Only ONE thankfully) of my Computers.....(it's the only way I can ever get hold of my kids in College...They never return my calls, but I can always count on one or the other to have AIM running). :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm not to happy with some of the crap they include with the program now without telling you. :mad:

http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28267&highlight=AOL+Spyware

BTW....I've since rid myself of the whole program- My kids are sure to email me or call on the Phone at some point....As soon as they need something. :p