PDA

View Full Version : Windows 98 FE to SE Update Problem

thorax990
03-10-2004, 03:25 PM
Hi everyone -

I'm attempting to update from Windows 98 FE to SE using the retail update disc. The update disk only has the 98 SE files to be added to an existing 98 FE install and can't be run from DOS.

My 98 FE came installed on the machine from the factory (Dell). The 98 FE OEM disc was provided with the machine.

When I attempt the update, setup scans my harddrive, prepares the wizard and then displays:

"SU991010
Setup was unable to continue. Reboot and try running setup again. If that doesn't work, try running the install from DOS.

Microsoft (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=250683) describes this as a hard disk write-access error. I'm not running any virus protection during the update attempt, all processes except systray and explorer are shut down, and my BIOS/Motherboard doesn't appear to have any virus protection associated with it.

The machine is a Dell Dimension R450.

A run of diskscan -surface gave my hard drive a clean bill of health.

Any ideas on what's causing this and how I might vanquish it?

Thanks.

Rasjals
03-21-2004, 10:14 PM
You are running something that does not allow to write to hard disk. Normally it is a anti-virus program, but sometimes it can be disk utility.

You need to make a Start Up disk. Unless you already have one. If you don't know how to make on Click your Start button, Control Panel, and Select Add/Remove Hardware. Then click on the tab Start up disk.

Once you have done that boot your computer with the Start Up disk, and run the setup again. This worked for me when I updated my computer to Windows 98 SE.

Hope That helps.

thorax990
03-22-2004, 09:12 AM
Thanks, Rasjals -

I was unable to do the install with the 98 update disc - it only allows an install with Windows 98 running. I obtained a Windows 98 upgrade disc which allows setup to run from a DOS prompt. I was able to do the install, and setup indicated that there was something that needed 'fixing' on my hard-drive, which setup was able to fix. I assume that this anomaly was causing my fatal error in the windows setup install.

So I'm upgraded to SE. Now, I have to get my internet connectivity back. Connects to my dial-up ISP, but won't do anything once connected.

Whyzman
03-22-2004, 09:42 AM
Hello thorax990,

Welcome tohttp://www.pcguide.com/logo.gif Forums!

A couple of questions...Is this upgrade 98SE the "normal" upgrade CD folks can purchase off the shelf??

Would you be able to backup data on your harddrive??

Overlay upgrades seem to be fraught with problems. Our IT professional here always recommend a fresh install of an OS rather than an upgrade.

If this is a standard Windows 98SE upgrade CD, I would recommend backing up what data you want to keep and fresh/clean install Win98SE.

Installation is accomplished using the upgrade disk...Since you have the original disk for Win98FE you would just insert that disk at the appropriate time to verify ownership of a previous Windows version...

Hehe...oops, you got the Big PCGUIDE Welcome...pasted the wrong one in there...ah, we'll let it go at that!

Paul Komski
03-22-2004, 04:34 PM
So I'm upgraded to SE. Now, I have to get my internet connectivity back. Connects to my dial-up ISP, but won't do anything once connected
Any yellow exclamation marks etc in Device Manger?

Regardless of that, you may well need to get updated drivers for your modem; sometimes there are different drivers for W98 and W98se.

thorax990
03-24-2004, 12:00 PM
Turns out it was dual TCP/IP configs. Deleted one and I'm up and running. Now it's off to the Microsoft page for updates. Any 98SE updates I should shy away from?

And thanks to Paul and Whyzman for the additional info.