PDA

View Full Version : Installing Windows XP

kenghoong
03-10-2004, 08:21 PM
How do I install Windows XP on a pc i had just formatted? I had been using Windows 98 all this while, and I formatted it on MS-DOS.

I had no problem installing XP on my new PC. But this one just cant read the disc, and it can only read my floppy boot disk.

Help please!

Steve
03-10-2004, 08:48 PM
You probably just need to set the boot order, in the BIOS, to CD first. That should get you going.

:)

PrntRhd
03-10-2004, 10:19 PM
I agree, you don't need the floppy to load XP, it formats and partitions off the CD itself.

kenghoong
03-11-2004, 08:37 PM
Ok, done changing the the boot line up. But when it loads up my cd, it says: Can't find NTLPR. What is that??

Quantax
03-11-2004, 10:35 PM
Please check out this article.........

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;101862

Budfred
03-11-2004, 11:18 PM
kenghoong,

Is this the same computer you are talking about in 2 other threads. If so, it would probably be a good idea to post everything in one thread since the things you are discussing in one may help to figure out what is going on in another.....

kenghoong
03-15-2004, 01:38 AM
Budfred, I have 3 computers now and having some problems. Sorry if I caused some confusion.

Quantrax, mine is a Windows 98 boot disk. I do not have that boot disk and for my Windows 98 boot disk, I can't choose R to repair.

PrntRhd
03-15-2004, 08:47 AM
I do not have that boot disk and for my Windows 98 boot disk,
Obtain a boot disk from www.bootdisk.com.

kenghoong
03-15-2004, 10:39 AM
uh...problem...
i manage to get to the Windows XP setup screen, yet, there was an error message saying a file was missing, namely NT... which I forgot.

What do I do now?

EDIT: When I tried Win98, it says that I did not have a hard drive installed/did not have the driver for hard drive. How can this be possible?

Paul Komski
03-15-2004, 03:57 PM
Win98 will require that the drive is first partitioned and then formatted from a boot disk. WinXP can do these things for itself.

Perhaps you should first wipe your current partition information (which will effectively wipe everything from the HDD) using such as WipeOut (http://www.lurkhere.com/~nicefiles/index.html). Copy the file to your boot floppy, boot to it and then type wipeout  /np  /nq at the command prompt.

Then just boot to the WinXP installation CD, which, believing the HDD to now be "brand new", should proceed with a normal installation of the os.

kenghoong
03-16-2004, 09:57 AM
more woes, drive C: now isn't recognize anymore. Signs of spoiled hard drive?

Quantax
03-16-2004, 12:04 PM
I tend to agree it could very well be a hard drive issue. Is it possible for you to use the drive manufacturer's diagnostic program to determine if the drive is OK?

kenghoong
03-16-2004, 10:14 PM
How do I use the drive manufacturer's diagnostic program?

Quantax
03-16-2004, 11:30 PM
In my case, I happen to have a Western Digital hard drive diagnostic on a floppy. Did your hard drive come with one?

Budfred
03-16-2004, 11:40 PM
Go to the manufacturer's website, find the diagnostic utilities, download them, load them per instructions that come with them on a floppy, reboot with the floppy and follow the directions...

kenghoong
03-19-2004, 01:09 AM
:mad: Help!

I bought a new hard drive. But after copying windows files, setup restarted n says Error Loading Operating System. HELP!

kenghoong
03-21-2004, 03:01 AM
from microsoft.com knowledge base, I got to know that th problem is with the bios. I updated my Award bios, nut still display the same error message. What went wrong here?

Paul Komski
03-21-2004, 04:28 AM
This error is commonly caused by a corrupted mbr. The best way to scrub the mbr is to run the hdd maker's diagnostic utility and use it to write zeros to the whole drive. You can also scrub just the mbr including the partition tables using the utility wipeout that was mentioned before. You can also scrub the mbr and (usually) leave the partition tables intact by running fdisk /mbr from a boot floppy diskette.

Another bios related cause is that the disks geometry is incorrectly reported. "Large" disks will almost certainly need to have LBA enabled in the bios. If the new HDD is larger than the original this could be part of the problem - so what are the parameters of the two HDDs.