PDA

View Full Version : Outlook express Is whacked

funhousegroup
03-12-2004, 05:02 PM
Hi guys.
My freind is having a problem with outlook. It says there are 73--45 unread and there are only 30 in the inbox. I dont know if there are messages that are not being seen or what. I have already tryed to delete the inbox.dbx ( Im not sure if I did it properly ) and I tryed to reinstall IE 6 which should also reinstall outlook but I get and error while trying to install saying that the version I have is already the newest ( or something like that ).,
How can I uninstall outlook and/or IE. I tryed to do it in add remove programs under windows components but no luck. I put a check next to the components to uninstall(IE, Outlook ) and then tell it to make changes but after a reboot IE and outlook are still there.
I am pulling my hair out and bitting my nails. Arrrrrrrhg.
FH

Paul Komski
03-12-2004, 06:38 PM
Which OS and which version? If an upgrade you should be able to remove it from Add/Remove Programs.

Deleting inbox.dbx should allow creation of a brand new one - as long as you deleted the correct one. Deleting the whole Outlook Express folder should allow a whole brand new set of folders to be created.

Check:- Tools - Options - Maintenance - Store Folder to see the location of that identity's Store Folder of eMails.

funhousegroup
03-14-2004, 01:13 PM
Paul.
The OS is XP and the install is probably a cuople of years old.
The IE version is one of the newest but says provided by "......" at the top of ech window. I could not seem to remove it through add remove pro. Are you saying that if I delete the OUtlook folder in programs that the folder will be recreated?
THanks, fH

Mark Miller
03-14-2004, 01:32 PM
Just a guess, but has he in tools under outlook express, used message rules to not alow certain e-mails to be shown? I did this and they still count when new e-mail is shown even though they do not come up. I am not sure which folder they wind up in, but they are there somewhere.
Just a guess, Mark:)

Paul Komski
03-14-2004, 04:33 PM
NO NOT the outlook folder which includes the application (msimn.exe) and associated files. TheRE is a store folder where the folders are kept for each identity as .dbx files. These can be in a number of locations but typically within C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Identities or something similar.

My previous post indicated how to find the Store Folder from the Maintenance Tab within OE (and specifically for the identity for which OE has been opened).

funhousegroup
03-14-2004, 05:03 PM
I think I already checked to make sure that no message rules were setup. I wont have a chance to work on the pc untilnext week so I will most likely post back then.
THanks guys, FH