PDA

View Full Version : XP Phone Home?

lib319
03-13-2004, 05:45 AM
Hello there

XP Pro with SP1 will execute my dial up connection if left on its own. I have the automatic updates turned OFF so I was wondering what it was doing, and how do I stop it.

cheers

lib

Whyzman
03-13-2004, 07:05 AM
There could be any number of programs running in the background attempting to update, or it could be a virus.

Are you running a firewall? ZoneAlarm lets me know anytime a program is attempting to connect behind the scenes.

HP printer drivers is apparently notorious for trying to update...

There are also something like 22 critical updates, do you know if you're up to date with all of them

Do you run up to date AntiVirus?

Oops, I think there's a way to go to Internet Options and shut down "Connect to Internet" so that these background programs cannot automatically call up the connections.

You might want to have a look at any programs you've loaded and see if they have auto updates ticked....

jabarnutcase
03-13-2004, 07:43 AM
Yes...And besides above suggestions, it would not hurt to Download Spybot S@D and Adaware and run them.
You could also have a nasty dialer installed- trying to call China or somewhere else for the latest and greatest.......well, who knows. :rolleyes:

(I'm assuming you are using a dialup connection, otherwise, you could check to box for "never use dialup" under your connection settings).

Whyzman
03-13-2004, 07:46 AM
Thanks jabar, I forgot about the "nasty dialer!" ;)

jabarnutcase
03-13-2004, 07:49 AM
Hehe....Yep, sometimes those darn dialers are "nasty". :p ;)

Budfred
03-13-2004, 08:33 AM
And of course, you may also need to run a HijackThis log after you run spyware scans to make sure you got anything that might be causing the problem...

To run HJT, extract it to a permanent folder such as C:\Documents or one you create like C:\HJT. Close all programs you have opened and make sure that all programs are enabled if you use msconfig. Run it and Scan, then Save the log. When the log window appears, Right click to Copy it, open your browser and come here to Paste the log. Do not make any changes until it is checked since most items are either benign or essential to the computer.

Mark Miller
03-13-2004, 09:40 AM
If it's you internet provider that's always trying to connect and you don't want it to. Whyzman hit it on the head. In ie6 go to tools [on the top] click internet options then click connections and there are options to how you isp starts, take it from there.
Mark:)

Paul Komski
03-13-2004, 05:09 PM
As a good general security measure you can prevent your dialup connection from ever dialing out on the sly by first bringing up the terminal window - the continue button must then be clicked to allow the dialup to proceed.

To enable this in WinXP:-
Control Panel
Network Connections
RClick on your Dialup Connection and choose Properties
Enable Show Terminal Window

I would use something like Kerio Personal Firewall as a detective and having first deleted all the current settings allow it to detect what is attempting the dialup.

Mini-Me
03-15-2004, 12:04 AM
Being paranoid about security, and the fact that these hackers and virus writers, etc, are getting smarter and smarter, I simply switch off my modem when finished. There is no way that any software/spyware can EVER connect, if the modem power is off...

If your modem is internal(and thus, has no power switch), you can acheive the same result by just unplugging your modem cable from the wall when you're done.

Sounds like a pain, but with a phone extension lead, you can hang the cable-join between the extension lead socket, and the lead to your modem, on a nearby light, or something, and then just read across, and pull out the plug.
:)

Cheaper then ANY software prevention method!
:p

MM.

Budfred
03-15-2004, 12:24 AM
Mini-Me,

That method works well when you are off the computer, but it won't protect you when you are online. You need a firewall for that, not to mention all the other security programs....

Whyzman
03-15-2004, 03:24 AM
Mini-Me, there are approximately 65,000 ports (doorways) on a computer. Not all of these are currently used, but when you are on line, the ones that are used can be open to intruders unless you have a firewall.

There are still some hackers whose desire is to screw up your computer and make life miserable for you. There are others who simply want to "own" your computer to extract information, or assist in performing Denial of Service attacks.

If the latter folks "own" your computer, they could have slipped a program in there that would have your computer contacting them anytime you're on line...and you wouldn't even know it! :eek:

Mini-Me
03-15-2004, 04:49 PM
I have Zone Alarm Plus on my machine, which pops up every time any program wants access to the Internet, or when any outside program tries to access my machine, but I still use the modem-off proceedure when finished.
:)

MM.