PDA

View Full Version : Recent Folder in XP

FrankSG
03-14-2004, 10:28 AM
My OS is XP Home. I tried to get rid of the Recent folder. But when I deleted it, Windows just recreated it at reboot as I thought it would.
It just changed the name from "Recent" to "My Recent Documents". In my Registry if I go to HKCU/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVerion/Explorer/ShellFolders, there is a value called "Recent". Can I safely delete that value? I would, of course, backup the Registry before I do that. Thanks.
~Frank~

Vic 970
03-14-2004, 10:34 AM
here's how its done in w98

QUOTE:
Here's how to remove the Documents folder from the Start menu:

Start the Registry Editor
Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Policies \ Explorer
Right-click an open area in the right pane and select New > DWORD Value
Name it NoRecentDocsMenu
Double-click this entry and add the value 1
Exit RegEdit and restart Windows
To reverse just change the value back to 0.

UNQUOTE:

maybe its similar.

FrankSG
03-14-2004, 11:00 AM
It must be different in XP. I just tried that but it still wants to recreate the dumb folder. Thanks anyway, Vic.

Paul Komski
03-14-2004, 11:20 AM
There's an "Allow Recent Documents on Start Menu" check box on TweakUI for XP.

Also RClicking Start | Properties | Start Menu | Customize | Advanced >> Check box for "List my most recently opened documents" as well as a button to clear the list.

I doubt if you can totally rid your self of such a shell folder totally but you would also need to delete the equivalent key in UserShellFolders as well as the one in ShellFolders - if you are going to dive into RegEdit Mode that is!! :D

sea69
03-14-2004, 11:42 AM
run-> gpedit.msc-> you will have to find it, but it's there.

;)

Sylvander
03-14-2004, 12:01 PM
Here's a comprehensive list of Registry edits:

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_reg_edits.htm

See if you can find it there.

FrankSG
03-14-2004, 12:07 PM
Thanks, everybody--I'll try those things later on this evening.
Sylvander--that was a nice link you sent me. I'm going to save it for future reference. Have a good day!