PDA

View Full Version : remove os

gotodreams
03-14-2004, 11:23 PM
hi,
i have two os. windows 98se and windows xp pro. i just wanted to know that is there any way i can remove windows 98 while keeping xp and the data intact
thanx

Mini-Me
03-14-2004, 11:52 PM
Hiya!
:)

The easiest thing I can think of, is to plonk in a temporary hard-drive.
You can leave the original one in there, just remove the IDE data cable, and it's power connector, and plug them into your temp drive.

That done, you can experiment to your hearts delight with any install of any system you like from Linux to BeOS to Linux, safe in the knowledge that your original files are not being toyed with by any partition program, or OS installer.

If you decide you really like XP, then you can leave the XP drive in there, and just make the ORIGINAL drive with your 98 install on it, a slave drive, by moving a jumper. XP will see this drive as a slave, and it can access it in the normal way.

I am not a beleiver in playing with a new OS, or any install of any OS(be it old or new) on a computer with an existing install of any flavor of Windows, unless you are not really that worried if you accidently wipe over everything...
:p

MM.

Mini-Me
03-14-2004, 11:57 PM
Oh!
I think I read your post wrong!
:p

I think you mean that you have 98 and XP on the same drive.

If this is true, then you can re-partition your drive with a non-destructive re-partition tool to remove the 98 partition, and thus, re-claim the space it occupied for XP.

I don't really know the names of any such partition tools, but I know you can definetly get them.

In my humble opinion though, I would flatten the drive, and any partitons you have, and install XP on a the drive with only one partion - the XP one.

MM.

SkyTrax
03-15-2004, 08:37 AM
The Mini-Me method will work, but you will need to reinstall winXP and all your programs. Read about how to remove 98 from a dual-boot system in MSKB at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;285480

Or try a search on Google, there are many results that can help you.

Paul Komski
03-15-2004, 04:13 PM
It's not that hard to do as long as both OSes are on different partitions.

First you need to edit boot.ini, remove the line pointing to the Win98 installation and leave only the line pointing to WinXP.

Then access the partition on which Win98 is installed and delete everything on it EXCEPT boot.ini, ntldr and ntdetect.com. It is essential that these three files are not deleted so to be safest, just leave all the files in the root of the partition but delete all the folders in the partition. {Leaving all the Win98 stuff there will do no harm other than use up disk space.)

To edit boot.ini:- boot to WinXP | RClick MyComputer and choose Properties | Advanced Tab | Settings button for Startup and Recovery | Click the Edit button.

When finished the text should look (with X being the partition number that XP is installed on - and assuming that it is installed into a folder named WINDOWS) something like:-

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(X)\WINDOW S

[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(X)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

The timeout value is immaterial since when only one boot option remains, it will be booted-to immediately without any timeout.