PDA

View Full Version : This XP is fun!!!

Mini-Me
03-15-2004, 12:40 AM
Hi all.
:)

I'm trying to install Notepad Plus, which is kinda like a compromise between standard notepad, and Word.

It is designed to replace standard Windows Notepad.

Normally, you simply rename the NOTEPAD.EXE file in the C:\WINDOWS folder to something like NOTEPAD-OLD.EXE, and then drop the new notepad plus file(also called NOTEPAD.EXE) into the Windows directory. That done, all the old links and shortcuts to the original Notepad program, will call and run the Notepad Plus program.

This works great in 95/98, but under XP, everytime you rename the NOTEPAD.EXE file to something else, a new, fresh copy of the ORIGINAL notepad.exe file pops up by itself!

When you try to drop the new file in, XP says the usual "Already exists. Do you want to overwrite?". You click YES, and the new file drops in, but then the old notepad.exe file pops up again.

I've tried several renaming attempts, and also deleted, and cut-and-paste the original notepad .exe out of the Windows folder. The Windows folder now has no notepad.exe file, but when you try to drop the new notepad plus .exe file in, the original notepad.exe pops up again!
:p

...and when it pops in again(about 3 seconds after dropping in the new file), it overwrites the NEW file with the OLD 60kB original notepad file - like it's trying to tell me: "No you won't, either!"
:D

Any thoughts on how to get XP to stop trying to be too helpful like this, and let me put my files were _I_ want, and not where _XP_ wants?!?!!
:p

MM

Mini-Me
03-15-2004, 12:43 AM
ADDITIONAL: All file attributes for the original notepad.exe are unticked, so the original file is not archived or read-only, etc, so you should be able to remove the file if I wish it...

MM.

pave_spectre
03-15-2004, 06:45 AM
You will need to disable Windows File Protection to have any chance of it working. Cant remember off-hand how to do it, but it should be easy enough to find out.

Paul Komski
03-15-2004, 05:36 PM
If it's notepad++ from Source Forge (https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=95717) then use the 1.8 installer.

EditPad Lite (http://www.editpadlite.com) is another nice notepad "replacement".

Mini-Me
03-16-2004, 07:03 AM
Ta!
:)

Will grab the 1.8 version.

Thanks.

Also, thanks to pave_spectre - will hunt down the Windows File Protection, and kill it!
;)

MM.