PDA

View Full Version : where the heck is Picture and Fax Viewer?

aardvark
03-15-2004, 07:10 PM
I am running XPhome and I use ALZip software as a compression utility, this also allows me to password protect files. When I open such a file I get a dialogue box asking me to specify a program association. I can use the browse option to reach the Quicktime pic viewer, and open the file successfully that way, but I can't find the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer anywhere, to use it. A file and folder search only turned up the "help" file for PFV, but not the program itself. Can someone point me in the right direction here? Thanks

Whyzman
03-15-2004, 08:46 PM
I'm not running XP on this rig, but I wonder if you'd find it in Add/Remove Programs under the Windows Setup Tab...It's perhaps one of those programs not installed by default...

YODA74
03-15-2004, 08:50 PM
go to...Start / Run and type:

"REGSVR32 SHIMGVW.DLL"
(without the quotes)(Yes, there's
a space between 2 and S)

Click...OK.

Let us know if this restores it.

aardvark
03-15-2004, 11:03 PM
hey Whyzman...not there, already checked. Thanks anyhoo.

aardvark
03-15-2004, 11:16 PM
YODA74... just to clarify, I have no problem accessing the pic and fax viewer under normal circumstances, it's the default program for opening .jpg's or .bmp's for example. It's only when trying to open the password protected file that I need to designate it "manually". I have the option of typing in the required program, but typing Picture and Fax Viewer doesn't work, and as I said, I can't find it by using the browse option. Having said all that, should I still try your suggestion? Thanks for the input.

Kimbo
03-16-2004, 01:37 AM
In XP's registry, Picture and Fax Viewer is listed as "SHIMGVW.DLL". Apparently there is no separate executable file you can select - it's buried in the dll.

Try browsing to Windows\System32\shimgvw.dll when trying to open your password protected file and see if that opens PFV.

Kimbo

Paul Komski
03-16-2004, 04:29 AM
You can't normally run a dll directly but must call it with rundll or rundll32 for example.

The syntax for rundll32.exe is:-
RUNDLL32.EXE <dllname>,<entrypoint> <optional arguments>
(There must be no spaces inside <dllname>,<entrypoint>)

<dllname> can be the registered name
shimgvw.dll
...or the full path...
C:\windows\system32\shimgvw.dll
...or the conventions...
%SystemRoot%\System32\shimgvw.dll
...or...
%WinDir%\System32\shimgvw.dll

Thus entering rundll32.exe  %SystemRoot%\System32\shimgvw.dll,Im ageView_Fullscreen into the Run Box should open the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer in WinXP - though there will be no picture displayed; NB don't add %1 at the end of the line inside the Run Box.

You can also use the line rundll32.exe  C:\Windows\System32\shimgvw.dll,Imag eView_Fullscreen  %1 (with no inverted commas anywhere and with %1 added as the optional argument) as an open, edit, etc command for any valid picture file extension of your choosing (I've only tested jpg). That should then open the pic in the viewer or allow you to choose one of the options from a RClick menu in Windows Explorer.

Example:
Highlight the jpg file extension from:- Tools | Folder Options | File Types
Click Advanced
Click New
Enter Edit in the first box.
Enter rundll32.exe  C:\Windows\System32\shimgvw.dll,Imag eView_Fullscreen  %1 in the second box
Enable DDE
OK and Close your way out.

Hope this helps - though it may not solve your particular problem I guess - though maybe it will indicate a way for you to solve it.

PS
To open a pic from the run box you would append the path to the file after the rundll... command
eg
rundll32.exe  C:\Windows\System32\shimgvw.dll,Imag eView_Fullscreen  C:\testpicsfolder\test.jpg

aardvark
03-16-2004, 05:30 PM
Kimbo, thanks for the info, I was *finally* able to find the Pic and Fax file. Of course when I went to see if I could now open the passworded files, I no longer get the frikkin' dialogue box! It opens with the Quicktime application by default now I guess. Minor detail I'm sure. At least now when I get the dialogue box back I know how to access the correct program file. Thanks again.

aardvark
03-16-2004, 05:39 PM
Paul thanks for the additional info. I'm hoping all I needed was the correct file path to shimgvw.dll, I have to play with my test files a bit more,(see my reply to Kimbo). I have saved your comments also, and I'll check out your suggestions as well. Thanks very much for the help folks.

Kimbo
03-16-2004, 11:25 PM
aardvark, Glad we could help! :D

Paul, thanks so much for the info on editing file extensions. I've printed it for future reference. :)

Kimbo