PDA

View Full Version : trying to boot from cd

yorkshireblue
03-15-2004, 07:45 PM
i need to boot from cd but can't and its really getting to me. I have checked out BIOS (version 7.30) and i changed the boot prioraty to CD Rom first but it is no help.

I went to the second page and there is something there saying the hard drive is still the primary boot up thing and cd rom is secondary. There is no way i can see to change this.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

mooch
03-15-2004, 08:07 PM
what system are you using EG: PC/Laptop and why do you need to boot from cd are you trying to install something...cos i had this problem on my laptop when i was trying to install XP over a previous XP installation and it wouldnt boot from CD ROM, therefore i couldnt delete or format my hardrive.

Mooch

yorkshireblue
03-15-2004, 08:12 PM
Its a Toshiba Satellite laptop.

It is the same problem. Im trying to install XP over XP so i can format my hard drive.

sea69
03-15-2004, 08:29 PM
you have to be sure to press F10 (or whatever it says that SAVES CHANGES AND EXIT)

also, if it's an upgrade CD rather than FULL, and windows is already installed it may not work...

yorkshireblue
03-15-2004, 09:46 PM
When rebooting i keep pressing ESC, then i have to press F1
to go to Bios...under the boot priority catergory there
is 2 options 1st = boot priority, 2nd = power on boot select.

boot priority = cd rom > hdd > fdd ...i can change these to any
order i want, but it still wont boot from the cdrom.

power on boot select = enanbled

pressing the "end" button saves changes and exits.

on page 2 there is another catergory which
is called "drives I/O" this catergory reads as follows

HDD=primary IDE(1F0H/IRQ14)
CDROM=secondary IDE(170H/IRQ15)

In this option i cant change the settings.

Info on system:

Operating system:windows XP pro
Version:5.1.2600 service pack 1 build 2600
System manufacturer:Toshiba
System model:Portable pc (laptop)
Systen type: x86-based pc
processer:x86 family 6 model 6 stepping 10 genuineintel~430 mhz
bios version/date:toshiba version 7.30, 15/10/1999
SMBIOS VERSION:2.3
boot device:\device\harddiskVolume1
hardware abstraction layer:version ="5.1.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)"

Budfred
03-15-2004, 10:31 PM
You do not want to change those settings.... Those are just how your drives are jumpered to work on the IDE port... leave them alone.

What sea69 is referring to is that you need to push F10 to Save the boot order change you made and then exit to reboot the computer. At that point, if the CD is in the drive, it should go there and boot.... If it doesn't you may have a busted CD drive, a bad connection or some other hardware problem....

yorkshireblue
03-15-2004, 10:50 PM
i have deffo saved the changes and the boot from CD still doesnt work

Paul Komski
03-16-2004, 05:58 PM
At boot up - watch the command line scripts carefully. With some mobos there will be a prompt to "press any key" when the bootable CD is detected and in order to enable such a boot-up. If your system does this and you miss the prompt, the CD won't boot and then usually the next bootable device will be chosen instead.

sea69
03-16-2004, 06:02 PM
ur right Paul-- you have to look for it CLOSELY and it doesn't give very long to choose either

Paul Komski
03-16-2004, 07:26 PM
<marquee direction="left" scrollamount="4"><font face="Comic Sans MS" color="green"><b>... if you've got double vision ... if you've got double vision ... you could miss it altogether ;)</b></font></marquee>