PDA

View Full Version : Computer screen keeps refreshing?

tomtomg59
03-16-2004, 06:57 AM
Hello Everyone: I just started getting this, my monitor keeps refreshing every 8 seconds, yesterday everything was ok, so i downloaded the MSKB #824145 and turned off the pc and went to bed, then when i got up i noticed this right away, i dont know if they are connected or just a coincidence! Any idea's as to why its refreshing? Its driving me Nuts! I dont see any spyware and the hijack this log seems ok! Thanks, Tom

Sylvander
03-16-2004, 11:44 AM
If you didn't change any hardware or software then use some method to jump back to the way things were when they worked just fine.
e.g.
If your OS is Win 98 use "scanreg /restore" to restore the configuration files automatically backed up by scanreg on the first boot of the day that the problem was introduced.

If that doesn't fix it, do you have a backup of the C: drive so you can re-format and restore it?

If you are using Windows XP go back to a clean restore point.

If such methods don't fix it then it's most likely a hardware problem.

If it is an infection though, and re-format and restore doesn't produce a fix:
Do you have an anti-virus rescue boot disk?
That can be used to rebuild your master boot sector, which added to the re-format and re-store, completes the cleanout of any infection.
Then you can be even more sure its a hardware problem.

ski
03-16-2004, 11:48 AM
If it appears to be a hardware problem, then make sure all connections are secure, the video card is fully inserted, and the video card's heatsink does not have any dust build up.

If those are ok, then make sure the monitor's refresh rate does not exceed the maximum that's specified for the resolution it's running at.

If that's ok, then try your monitor on another system. If the same thing happens, then it's bad.
Or try a different monitor on your system. If it works ok, then your monitor is bad.

If your monitor works ok on another system, or if a different monitor has the same problem on your system, then try a different video card.

tomtomg59
03-16-2004, 01:14 PM
Well, i restarted the pc and it went away for now, but this has happened a couple of times before, even after reinstalling xp home, but i guess i will never know what causes this, I also did not realize this but i had the A3000 all in one printer installed twice, can that do it?

mjc
03-16-2004, 07:26 PM
Doubtful...

Try the monitor on another machine.

tomtomg59
03-16-2004, 07:30 PM
actually i do have another pc with xp home, i will switch monitors for awhile and if it happens again, i will let you know, Thanks, Tom

jkennedy9
03-11-2011, 03:34 AM
Hi, i am kind of geseeing but the screen refreshing may be due to a graphics card but what I really think it may be is windows installing its updates. The reason for this is my pc was working fine then I agreed to install 75 windows updates and now the screen is refreshing every 10-15 seconds. hope it stops when updates are done. This may also be why it only happens sometimes and not all of the time.

Cheers
Jon

PS will try to let you know if my screen stops when updates are complete. (Very Anoying):mad:

jkennedy9
03-11-2011, 11:15 PM
H+Well the screen has stopped refreshing so that is the only thing I can think of. However I dod not know if it can be preventedfor each update p[erformed. Maybe its just one of those things you have to put up with.

Cheers
Jon:( :eek: :)

ArticlesColumn
03-16-2011, 01:59 AM
I have similar problem plus my screen keeps changing its colours from normal to green and blue...damn this is very annoying :mad: