PDA

View Full Version : Java

EricG
03-16-2004, 12:13 PM
Hi

I posted a while ago about Java but didn't make it clear that I only required it to access e-chat.

I have since found out that although I appeared to have Javascript enabled in my OS (XP Home) it is not a current version and Microsoft is apparently no longer able to provide it (copyright reasons, perhaps?).

Can anyone point me to a site where I can obtain the necessary software?

Steve
03-16-2004, 12:24 PM
You can get Sun Java Here (http://www.java.com/en/index.jsp) . Java and Javascript are different animals. Sounds like Java is what you need.

EricG
03-16-2004, 12:27 PM
Hi

Forget that last post. I re-read my previous post and the replies to it and I now have it installed. It was added yesterday by an engineer attending to a PC fault but I don't know where he got it and how he installed it, because I wasn't aware that he had done it.

It would have been useful to know of the link to download it in case I have to re-install the OS at some point.

Eric

Sylvander
03-16-2004, 01:11 PM
Make a backup [or 2 or 3] of your C: drive and you should never need to re-install Windows.

Keep your C: drive lean & mean by moving non program files and data off it.
e.g.
a. My Documents.
b. E-mails for all identities.
c. Internet Explorer Favourites.
d. Temporary Internet Files.

Make an anti-virus rescue disk.
This can re-build your master partition sector if it becomes infected.
That plus re-formatting and re-storing your c: drive from a good backup will clean out infection as well as restoring a working software system.
Hence it will fix all kinds of software problems.

EricG
03-17-2004, 04:58 AM
Hi

Thanks to both of you for the information and advice.

Eric