PDA

View Full Version : "Internet Explorer cannot download"

Halfwit
03-17-2004, 06:38 PM
Whenever I attempt to download a file (exceptions - Microsoft updates work OK, Adobe updates worked fine but that didn't go through IE), rightclick on a link and use "Save Target As" or click on a link that
requires Acrobat, RealPlayer, or any other non-IE software to open (possible exception - where the player is embedded into the IE window, eg BBC Broadband news), I get the following error message:

"Internet Explorer cannot download [...] from [address].

Internet Explorer was not able to open this Internet
website. The requested site is either unavailable or
cannot be found. Please try again later."

I have IE6 with SP1, and "Do not save encrypted pages to disk" is unchecked in Tools|Options|Advanced|Security, which would be a potential source of a problem like this.

I have AVG running, but this hasn't caused any problems before. I have also tried out a range of IE security settings, without avail.

Does anybody have any ideas? Since I read a lot of .pdf files for my university course, this is a real headache for me!

Thanks

Michael

Paul Komski
03-17-2004, 06:48 PM
<marquee direction="right" scrollamount="6"><font face="Comic Sans MS" color="red"><b>Halfwit you are Welcome to the PC Guide Forums</b></font></marquee>

Are these perhaps https secure sites?? See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q319032 for example.

Halfwit
03-17-2004, 07:37 PM
Thank you for the welcome :)

I should have said that I was aware of that possibility and had discounted it, sorry. It happens on all sort of websites. I can't use "Save Target As" on any links at all. I can't download files from links in IE - even opening attachments in Yahoo Mail (though interestingly, Hotmail will display a picture file attachment, which requires opening it, whereas Yahoo won't) - with the exception of Windows Updates which do download okay (I am now utterly up to date, by the way!). The exceptions I have listed are all the exceptions of which I am aware, and I have tried a lot of different things out.

I was genuinely surprised when RealPlayer in the BBC Broadband News worked - but there it doesn't open RealPlayer in a new window. Anything which tries to open RealPlayer in a new window doesn't work.

Thanks for the attempted help, though! I really don't know what is going on, having trawled the web for similar instances - the only "solutions" I can find are that my IE Internet Options|Advanced|Security|"Do not save encrypted files" setting is wrong (but having experimented, that isn't the problem) or that I don't have the IE latest update so am having trouble with https sites (neither being the case!).

Michael

roy67ss
03-17-2004, 08:41 PM
Are you on a dsl high speed connection?
I was having a similar problem where some sites would not load. When I ran winipcfg and did the release/renew, it got a new address for me and I am now able to load all sites again. Even this site would not load. It worked for me on my win98se machine, although I really don't understand why I was unable to load the various sites. When it happened to me, my address was 209.###.###.### and most of the sites I was trying to access started with the same number. My address now starts with 145.###.###.###. Still don't understand that one!!

Sylvander
03-18-2004, 05:28 AM
Halfwit
Go to "Tools>Internet Options" and check out your "Security", "Privacy", and "Content" settings.
Set them all as low as possible to see if that helps. If it does, then gradually, one at a time, raise the levels to previous values to see if one setting causes the problem.

roy67ss
I was once told [by my ISP's Tech Support] that some sites do not update to cope with the latest addresses, so those with such addresses cannot access these sites.
In my case changing my address didn't fix the problem so my ISP gave me a proxy and that gave me access to all sites once again.

Halfwit
03-19-2004, 10:32 AM
Solved it!

It wasn't a problem with my security settings, apparently. Deleting all my temporary internet files seems to have worked...

mjc
03-19-2004, 11:10 AM
Sylvander........

I was once told [by my ISP's Tech Support] that some sites do not update to cope with the latest addresses, so those with such addresses cannot access these sites

What your ISP told you is a load of BS....

It is THEY (your ISP) who is having the problem updating DNS.

When you go to a site the access to it depends on finding the IP from the name, this lookup is handled by DNS servers at the ISP, not the site. So it is the ISP's responsibilty to keep up to date, not the site you are trying to reach.

Halfwit

Dumping the cache and temp files should be stop #1 on trying to troubleshoot, then shutting down'rebooting should be next....

Sylvander
03-19-2004, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by mjc
What your ISP told you is a load of BS....

Yes...I wondered myself.
And yet they went so far as to say I should contact the webmaster at such sites and ask them to update their site!!!

Paul Komski
03-19-2004, 02:20 PM
Clear one's cache - LOL - so easy to forget the obvious things!

mjc
03-19-2004, 04:54 PM
And yet they went so far as to say I should contact the webmaster at such sites and ask them to update their site!!!

Ummm...who is running tech support at your ISP?

The guys from Monty Python?

Sylvander
03-19-2004, 05:58 PM
To be fair to them, they have solved every problem I ever took to them.
In this case it took a little longer than normal.
They took me through a process of waiting 24 hours and trying to get a new address assigned to my PC. When that failed they told me to contact the webmasters. That led nowhere. Then they gave me a proxy address and that fixed it. This is the Tech assistance for Telewest. They only charge local phone rates and spend as long as it takes. No time pressure whatever.