PDA

View Full Version : CD burner software doesn't detect drive

adminwannabe
03-19-2004, 09:08 AM
I have a Sony crx1751A burner that was working fine with BHA Recorder (the software that came with it) but all of a sudden when I launch the software, I get a dialog box stating that "No drive is connected" even though the cd rom shows up in Device Manager and works fine. I am running Windows 98SE.
I loaded Norton Ghost 2003 because I was going to switch to a larger hard drive, but when I started investigating why my burner software wasn't working I thought that Ghost could be causing the problem. So I uninstalled it. But it still doesn't work. I even tried different software with the same results. I know the cd will still burn because I used Musicmatch to burn a couple of songs succesfully. Please Help!!

Sylvander
03-19-2004, 10:21 AM
Were you supplied with any diagnostic software that could test out your setup of software and hardware?

Try uninstalling and re-installing the software that came with the CD drive. [Is BHA Recorder a part of it?]

It may be that a necessary software component has been overwritten and no longer functions.

I had a similar situation with a printer. Same kind of warning I think: "no printer detected" or similar.
I re-ran Windows Setup, and setup overwroted [with the original, older version] a windows file that had been updated to a version needed by the printer. The printer software no longer worked.
When I uninstalled the printer software and then re-installed, it put back the updated version needed by the printer, and it worked once again.

If you were good at using "System File Checker" and used this to regularly update the list of files [and their versions] presently installed, then you could use this to check which files had been recently altered.

If you had a backup of your C: drive taken recently when all was well, you could re-format your C: drive and restore that working software system.

adminwannabe
03-24-2004, 05:14 PM
Thanks for your reply. I did not get any installation software with the drive. When I installed it, Windows recognized it and it worked. Then I installed the burner software and it worked. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the burner software with the same results. I checked SFC for altered files dated around the time I started having the problem, and there were none. There were files that were added, but they are for my printer software. Should I try uninstalling my printer software? I was also thinking of removing the burner and putting it in a different computer, loading the burner software and see if that works.

Sylvander
03-24-2004, 07:40 PM
No, not the printer software.
I see you have already tried an uninstall & re-install the burner software [BHA Recorder] and that hasn't worked.

Could this be your problem and fix?
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;329909&Product=winxp