PDA

View Full Version : Problem with system clock

netharam
03-19-2004, 01:41 PM
The system clock is not running when the system is shutdown. I'm using win98SE for eg when I shutdown the system at 11:00 A.M & when I boot the system at 16:00 the system clock starts runnig from 11:00 . Pls. reply positively.:mad:

Steve
03-19-2004, 02:03 PM
It sounds as though the battery on the motherboard has died. Try a replacement. They're fairly inexpensive.

netharam
04-06-2004, 04:46 PM
I find that the time which I set manually for eg(04/07/2004 10:00), then the date & time remains the same whenver I restart the system. Even after 3-4 days it's displaying the same date & time & the clock starts functioning after the system boot, but it's set back to (04/07/2004 10:00) whenever I restart.:mad: Expecting replies now.

Whyzman
04-06-2004, 06:34 PM
Did you replace the battery as Steve suggested??

You did not state whether you did or not...

The clock you see on screen is not the same clock that exists on your motherboard. The screen clock is a software clock that resets upon boot to the time being kept on your motherboard clock...

If you do not boot for long periods of time there is a strong chance that your screen clock will begin to wander from the actual time due to other software interference...

One thing I would like to address is what is acceptable protocol here on the forums. We seem to have either a language or custom issue with the use of "directives." Directives or commands are most often used by a Superior to a Subordinate...

Using a directive as you did
Expecting replies now. could definitely invite folks to view you as being arrogant or deeming yourself superior. Even though our computer knowledge may differ, we are all equals here, volunteering our time to assist folks in need.

Help is customarily asked for...not demanded. ;)

faithbuilder2
04-09-2004, 02:09 PM
i have two machines the clock has to be reset from time to time after a few days havnt got a clue why .any ideas to this dilema.??:confused:

ski
04-09-2004, 05:10 PM
Wholeheartedly agree with Whyzman - Ask and you shall receive, demand and you shall be ignored.

faithbuilder2
04-09-2004, 09:32 PM
excuse me i never demanded anything if you'll check my post its ??? confussed.:confused:

Mark Miller
04-09-2004, 09:50 PM
Hi Faith,
They were not talking about your post but about Netharam.
as far as your clocks, how do you connect to the net? If broadband go to one of the atomic clock servers [google it, I am being lazy]
the other thing is that it could be your cmos battery but I doubt that on 2 different machines:confused: Anyway post back with your os and how you connect.
Mark
Also try and follow whyzman's directions

jabarnutcase
04-09-2004, 10:00 PM
Hi faithbuilder2-

First of all, the reference about the use of Directives I'm sure was not "directed" at you. :p

Secondly, I'm sure you read about the Motherboard battery. Is that something you have checked, or are comfortable checking?

Usually when the system time slows down, that's the problem.

Other than that, you might click on your Windows Clock, click on "internet time" and synchronize it with and internet time server to get it up to date. (Can't remember if that's always been an option or if it would even help).

Again, any time I've had a similar problem, it's always been the battery on the Motherboard needed replacing.

Others may have more(or better) suggestions. ;)

(EDIT) Good evening Mark! Hey, you beat me to it....Join the club! :D

faithbuilder2
04-09-2004, 10:13 PM
on two separate machines ?? ill check the synchro thingy thou thanks fer the tip .:rolleyes:

jabarnutcase
04-09-2004, 10:18 PM
Well, stranger things have happened.....How old are the machines? If they were bought around the same time, anything is possible.

It's usually a 3v Watch type Battery (CR2032)....You may be able to check the battery Voltage in Bios. Generally, if the voltage drops below around 2.5 volts, it's about that time....Good luck.

Budfred
04-10-2004, 02:02 AM
It could also be due to malware, so if the batteries don't help, it would be a good idea to run security scans and post a HijackThis log.... Start your own thread to address all of that....

Steve
04-10-2004, 12:12 PM
Another thing I've heard that causes clock problems (but only in 9x) is some audio players use up enough resources to effect the time. So if you are playing music while on the computer, that might be what's happening.

PrntRhd
04-10-2004, 12:24 PM
Actually you should differentiate:

The System Clock is the one you set when you go into BIOS.

Windows Clock is what you see in the system tray on the screen in Windows.
Windows clock time is affected by the resources used by applications such as Steve is talking about, and by malware such as Budfred is talking about.

The problem originally posted is most likely related to the System Clock due to a CMOS battery that has gone bad or has a poor connection.

Other than that, you might click on your Windows Clock, click on "internet time" and synchronize it with and internet time server to get it up to date. (Can't remember if that's always been an option or if it would even help).
Jabber,
WIN98 does not have that feature, but you can find programs that can correct the time for both clocks, I prefer NIST Time as it is free and has no adware. (software by National Institute of Standards and Time to connect to the Atomic Clocks in Boulder CO, USA)

Fruss Tray Ted
04-10-2004, 01:08 PM
You got the lever flipped over to 'hour meter'. Hasn't anyone ever driven a forklift? :eek: :D

Time only flies if your having fun... :rolleyes:

Actually this as a side feature would be rather interesting to see things such as how long it took a version 9x to pooch out, or how many hours you got out of a PSU or other component. ;)

Want a straight answer? "Be polite".

faithbuilder2
04-10-2004, 03:30 PM
i went into the time zone thingy and did synchro update to my time frame so far its been correct :) thanx fer the tips ...Happy reserection day to those who celebrate religiously for those who dont watch out for that lil red bunny he'll fry all your lil eggs .:D

netharam
04-12-2004, 02:35 PM
I'm sorry I didn't mean it that way, anyway it also sounds harsh, so Once again sorry for those words. I've changed my battery, but the problem still exists.

YODA74
04-12-2004, 02:57 PM
The problem originally posted is most likely related to the System Clock due to a CMOS battery that has gone bad or has a poor connection.

Yup... ;)

Note: Again the words of Sea69
quote:

what type of bull**** is that???????

we are not your students here- you are asking us for information.

you should be GRATEFULL for anything anyone endeavers to assist you with!

Whyzman
04-12-2004, 03:17 PM
Have you tried a virus scan as Budfred suggested??

If all connections good and a new battery, we may need to look at other possibilities...

Steve
04-12-2004, 03:52 PM
There seems to be a known issue with the clock not keeping time if you are using Advanced Power Management in the BIOS. Micro$oft suggests shutting down APM in BIOS and using the Windows APM found in the control panel. It might be worth a try.

I'm sorry I didn't mean it that way

I know you didn't....:)