PDA

View Full Version : Apfiltr.sys

shaffy
03-20-2004, 05:13 AM
I have a Toshiba laptop and was using win xp pro when I first got a blue screen stating Apfiltr.sys caused a problem and therefore pc is shut down to prevent damage. I didn't think much of it since the warning also said not to worry about it if was the first time. I restarted my computer and everything was fine -- but not for too long. Search window started opening up all by itself (start -> search) especially whenever I used letter 'e'. I thought maybe somehow I assigned 'e' to be short cut to search. I did a clean install using the recovery cds which came with my notebook - but was for no use. I called Toshiba and was told to do recovery again...which I did but again, same thing. I called Toshiba back and they told me that they can't help me, itís a software issue :mad: I just finished running the recovery again for the 3rd time...and when I restarted the computer, I got the blue screen again! After the 1st and 2nd install, I didn't get the blue screen, just the search window was popping up (not just one, but multiple) and after the 3rd time, I got the blue screen.

Please HELP!

Kimbo
03-20-2004, 06:42 AM
Did some searching on apfiltr.sys and it appears to be a driver for laptop keyboard/touchpad devices. From this link (http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hwdev/driver/drv_protect.mspx) (about 1/2 way down the page) it says that driver is known to cause stability issues in WinXP.

Search window started opening up all by itself (start -> search) especially whenever I used letter 'e'.
That seems to point to a keyboard issue as well. Try looking for a newer version of the driver on the Toshiba site. If you can't find one, let us know the model number of your laptop and we'll try to help find it.

Kimbo

shaffy
03-20-2004, 08:09 AM
Ok, I updated the driver...it solved the blue screen problem. Search result window is still popping up... when the search window comes up, all the icons on the desktop flickers. If I leave it alone, after a minute or so, the flickering stops and no more windows open up but as soon as I try to do anything, it starts all over again.
One thing that i don't understand is that even if it is the driver that is causing the problem -- why now, i've been using this laptop for 2 years now.

it is a toshiba, satellite 1805-S274. Thank you very much for helping.

Rick
03-20-2004, 08:53 AM
After two years of use
it could be any number of things causing a problem
You may have a key that is sticking part way down.
Your touch pad and or buttons may be sticky or even have dust bunnies clogging sonething.

The driver causing a problem could be a sign of a hard drive read error or corrupt file because of a write error or cross linked file
Another thing that leads to this type of error is using the defrag to much

Have you done a clean sweep of the system in the past year ?
IE: backed up your data and formatted or error filled the drive then do a complete reinstall ?

It does help doing this once a year.
Cleans out the old un-needed files and clutter
Free up disk space and Gives you the chance to update all your drivers
Avoid conflicts and check the system for possible future trouble

If you have a problem with a window opening each time you boot
You may be running into the windows restore to previous section
Where it remember what you were doing last and reopens/restores the desk top

In many cases all you need to do is close all windows and shutdown or restart to solve it

shaffy
03-20-2004, 05:11 PM
Ok, I called Toshiba again and ask them to send me a box so I can just ship the system to them...I paid for extended warranty so my bro said I should take advantage of that instead of getting frustrated.

one thing that is still bothering me is: I told the tech guy that I did not install anything of my own after doing the recovery but he said that I must have because I have some programs running which don't come with the system...I did not install anything. Any idea what fxssvc.exe is? he had me read the list of the of the processes which were running and said that it was fxssvc.exe causing the problem and that it didn't come with the system, I also have realplay.exe running and he said that didn't come with the system either. BUT I HAVE NOT INSTALLED ANYTHING! Sorry for the cap...Iím just going nuts... I hate it when people think Iím lying. Any idea how those two things got in there if they didn't come with the system without me installing those? Is there something I might be doing wrong when doing clean install (at least I think I did a clean install)?

PrntRhd
03-20-2004, 06:25 PM
fxssvc.exe is Microsoft Fax related

shaffy
03-20-2004, 08:56 PM
Thanks :) Does it come with win xp or is it something that a user install?

Rick
03-20-2004, 09:06 PM
Depending on the recovery type and the disk used.
You may not have done a clean install

To do a complete clean install you need to format the drive or use the hard drive manufacturers zero fill utility
This will return the drive to a complete blank state
The way it is when it is manufactured

Some recovery disks simply reinstall over the old files
and do not touch the other files not included on the recovery
That would account for real-player and others that you may have installed in the past
But were not included with the recovery disk

mjc
03-21-2004, 01:43 AM
Just to play devil's advocate.......i haven't seen an off the shelf sytem, yet that didn't include Real.

PrntRhd
03-21-2004, 02:02 AM
Does it come with win xp or is it something that a user install?

It is a Service in XP. (fxssvc.exe)

Kimbo
03-21-2004, 02:20 AM
I agree with mjc about the Real player. I've never seen an off the shelf system without it either.

Do you use Microsoft Fax? If not, try going to "Administrative Tools / Services" in the Control Panel and set it to disabled or manual. If you don't use it, it shouldn't be running in the background all the time anyway using memory unnecessarily.

Would you also go to "Start / Run / msconfig" and post a list of what is checked under the Startup tab? Maybe we will see something there that could be causing the problem with the search windows popping up.

shaffy
03-22-2004, 03:37 AM
No, i don't use the fax function. Just for my own information, would you please explain how to correctly format (i'm a computer dummy). I only know how to reformat using the recovery cds which came with the system or by right clicking on the 'c' drive icon and hitting format <-- althought that did not work for me. I kept on getting the message that a program is running and it must be exit first, but there was no program running. I restarted the computer in safe mode and got the same message and i said forget it, i'll just use the cds which came with the system. I thought under safe mode only the necessary programs run or is it not correct?

if fxssvc.exe is a ligit process, why in the world the tech guy was 'aha, that's where is problem is' as soon as i read fxssvc.exe -- i was reading all the processes which were running to him. Wonder if he just didn't want to help :confused:

i will list or past screan shot of all the items under start up once i get my notebook back from toshiba.

thank you very much for helping.

Paleo Pete
03-22-2004, 09:45 AM
Sorry for the cap...I?m just going nuts...

That's no problem. We get uptight if the entire post is done in caps, but not when you use caps to emphasize something.

Here's what I was able to find out about FxSSvc.exe:

Microsoft?s Fax Service found on Windows XP and 2003. Microsoft?s Fax enables the user to send and receive faxes. This service is responsible for sending and receiving faxes, as well as logging various stats about your faxing loads, archiving sent faxes, and configuration of your fax device (fax modem, fax port).

Recommendation :
Set to disabled or manual in "Administrative Tools / Services" in the Control Panel if you do not use Microsoft Fax. This is especially important given that this service uses a lot of memory and, also, it will often generate boot-up errors if it is enabled but was never configured.

From Answers That Work (http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist_f.htm)

Using your warranty is probably best, but the response you got by phone is typical. Most or all computer companies do not support software, hardware only, and from what I've seen they go to great lengths to call everything possible a software problem so they can say "SEE YA!" and it's your problem from there...In addition to that, most of their "technicians" aren't...which is probably why the one you talked to didn't know this is a legit Windows service.

Rick made an excellent point, System Restore could have been the main cause of the persistence of the problem, (not the problem itself) by changing it back to a previous configuration every time it crashed, bringing you back to the same configuration that caused the problem to begin with...

Just for my own information, would you please explain how to correctly format

Your restore disk should be able to do that, usually they will have options for Quick Restore and Full Restore. Full restore will format. They may be named differently, and often a description will be listed too.

To format manually, use a Windows Start Up Disk, which will boot to an A:/> prompt. Type format_C: using a space instead of the underscore I used. That will not work if the drive is partitioned with the NTFS file system, DOS can't read the drive in that case, so it would have to be done either by the restore disk, or by using a partitioning utility like Partition Magic.

The drawback with partitioning is that computer companies often do not put the files needed to restore on the restore disk, instead they are on a partition on the hard drive, so if you repartition those files are gone. (That also robs you of drive space) This is particularly true of Compaq, they use the SYSTEM_SAVE partition and they refuse to tell you about it if the machine is one day out of warranty and your restore disk boots into an error message.

So be very careful about repartitioning, only do that by using the restore disk, it should leave the system files partition alone, if one exists. Remove that pertition and the restore disk is useless, it's only a batch file that calls up the restore files form the hard drive. Really bad idea if you ask me, what if the hard drive crashes?

NOTE: FORMAT will not affect a second or hidden partition, and should be safe as long as you only format C:. FDISK removes partitions, be careful with it, same as third party utilities such as partition magic. If the restore disk has an option to repartition, it's probably safe, it either has the system files on CD or will leave the system partition alone.

Paleo Pete
03-22-2004, 10:00 AM
Decided on a 2nd post rather than adding to an already long one...Found some more information after posting.

I first got a blue screen stating Apfiltr.sys caused a problem

apfiltr.sys

Seems to be the Alps touchpad driver, listed in This Article (http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hwdev/driver/drv_protect.mspx) with some information about general driver compatibilities and they way Windows verifies them. No, I didn't read the whole thing...

If the computer is having problems as a result of that driver, you might be able to download a newer version from the Alps website. If the problem persists after you get the computer back that is...

Sylvander
03-22-2004, 10:31 AM
shaffy
You said:
"by right clicking on the 'c' drive icon and hitting format <-- althought that did not work for me. I kept on getting the message that a program is running and it must be exit first, but there was no program running. I restarted the computer in safe mode and got the same message"

1. That cannot be done.
It would be crazy for Windows to re-format the very drive on which Windows is installed, and do it while Windows is still running! That's like asking it to destroy itself in mid operation.
2. Within Windows there a re ALWAYS programs running in the background. Hit "Ctrl+Alt+Del" to see them.
3. The same applies to safe mode.

shaffy
03-22-2004, 12:59 PM
just wondering why format option is there when i right click on the c drive icon if that cannot be done :confused:

I did download the newest driver from toshiba and that didn't seam to work.

warranty suppose to cover software (the ones came with the system) and hardware issues ... thats what it said on the warranty papers and did confirm with toshiba so i told them whatever it is, hardware or software they can fix it for me since i paid them $200 +.

Sylvander
03-22-2004, 01:56 PM
There will probably be a very complicated and very technical reason why!
I know that the right-click context menus are constructed from information in the registry. The menu is in, in theory, supposed to be correct for the context in which is is made. Hence the name.

When I try it I get:
"Windows cannot format this drive because it contains files in use by Windows".
Just what I'd expect.

shaffy
03-22-2004, 04:35 PM
i believe that is the same message i got when i tried it...however, not knowing much about the matter, i just assumed that it should work since it is there. now i know :D thanks!

shaffy
03-22-2004, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Paleo Pete

Your restore disk should be able to do that, usually they will have options for Quick Restore and Full Restore. Full restore will format. They may be named differently, and often a description will be listed too.

I did full restore not the quick one...so he didn't know what he was talking about! I feel better now ;)

shaffy
04-03-2004, 05:16 AM
just wanted to let you guys know i got my note book back from toshiba --- it was the keyboard .. they replaced it with new keyboard.
i was wishing that something major was wrong so they can just send me a new laptop :rolleyes: hehehehehe

anyways, on serious note, it is great to have my laptop back AND working, thanks for all the help!