PDA

View Full Version : win xp and win 98

nigel
03-20-2004, 12:35 PM
i've got 2 hard drives on my pc, the main drive has windows xp, is it possible to install windows 98 on the 2nd hard drive so that i can play my games which will not work with xp using the second drive. this mit be a dump q.

Budfred
03-20-2004, 12:55 PM
Yes it is possible and no it is not a dumb question...

nigel
03-20-2004, 01:09 PM
thanks will i need to boot from the second drive or can i just boot up windows xp as normal and go into the second drive where my games will be.

Quantax
03-20-2004, 01:34 PM
You can boot into either by going to the boot.ini file and picking either OS as the one to boot to. The location of that file is C:\boot.ini.

nigel
03-20-2004, 01:55 PM
thankyou

Budfred
03-20-2004, 04:44 PM
One problem you will encounter: you already have WinXP installed. It is best to install Win98 first and then when you install WinXP it creates a boot.ini that allows the choice between the two. When you install Win98 second, it doesn't do that and you either need to create it yourself or use a boot manager utility. There are several people here who can tell you how to get around this problem, but I am not one of them, sorry.....:rolleyes:

Paul Komski
03-20-2004, 09:36 PM
There are a number of approaches but if you want a dual boot scenario without using a third party boot manager, you will have to repair the winxp boot processes after you install Win98.

For example, you could reverse the drives and make the slave the master and then clean install Win98 onto it. Reattach the original master, containing WinXP, now as slave and then boot to the WinXP CDROM. Then do a Repair Installation of WinXP, in effect reinstalling the OS over the original. This will reset the various boot processes and files on the C drive of the new master. If all goes pear-shaped you can reverse the master and slave once again to be able to boot back into WinXP as before.

There are other ways of skinning your cat but this would seem the most straightforward way and with an opt out if things go wrong.