PDA

View Full Version : please help with windows xp

zourlomanitaro
03-20-2004, 02:36 PM
i bought an acer laptop yesterday, which had already installed windows xp home. The problem is that while i can view pdf and word files from the cd rom drive, while i copy them on the hard disc they simply dont open. The message is filename,directory name, syntax volume label is incorrect. The same problem refers to application that i tried to install for example zone alarm.exe, since i can do the setup from the cd but if i copy the setup file in hard disk it simply dont open. I a log in as administrator user and simply cant understand whats is wrong. i would appreciate a lot if anybody ould give a piece of advice

Budfred
03-20-2004, 05:14 PM
Welcome to http://www.pcguide.com/ubb/pcgubb.gif

When you copy from a CD to the hard drive, it usually will copy as Read Only and this can make all sorts of odd things happen. Try a Right Click on the things copied and select Properties. Change them to Archive and see if that allows you to run the things you want. I believe you can switch whole folders to Archive at one time....

zourlomanitaro
03-21-2004, 01:37 PM
nope it didn't work. Imagine that even if i open a new wor document, write a simple line, and then try to save us in the hard disk it will show me the same error message. It looks like the hard disk is some kind protected . I will propably reinstall windows i cant come up with anything else to do.

Budfred
03-21-2004, 02:02 PM
It is possible that it is write protected, you may have Cdilla. Cdilla is a program that companies include in legit software that blocks copying at different levels depending on how aggressive it is. If you have it and you reinstall all you old programs, you will probably have it again....

You might want to run HijackThis and post the log so that we can see if it is there or if some other program is causing your problem... To run HJT, extract it to a permanent folder such as C:\Documents or one you create like C:\HJT. Close all programs you have opened and make sure that all programs are enabled if you use msconfig. Run it and Scan, then Save the log. When the log window appears, Right click to Copy it, open your browser and come here to Paste the log. Do not make any changes until it is checked since most items are either benign or essential to the computer. You can download it from the link below, but you may have to use the LurkHere download site in that page....

John0904
03-21-2004, 03:08 PM
If I were to take a guess, it might be a Group Policy and or Local security setting(s).

Even as a administrator, you can still lock settings where a administrator is denied access.

This a brand new, out of the box laptop? If not, might be a good idea to format and reinstall XP anyway.

Out of curiosity, you are not creating a shortcut from the CD to the hard drive, removing the CD and attempting to run the program, are you?
I know that is a stupid question, but even the simplest things can be over looked. :)