PDA

View Full Version : Adventitious shut down nuisance: Nv4_disp

msa969
03-22-2004, 08:16 AM
I am getting a windows shut down problem. The window seems to be shutting down adventitiously without prompt. During usage I will get a message about "Nv4_disp" and other incoherent numbers.

This random behaviour is a concern and has been happening quite recently. What can I do to redress it?

ski
03-22-2004, 08:24 AM
Reseat the video card making sure it's fully inserted, uninstall and reinstall the video card drivers, install the latest video card drivers, install the latest 4-in-1 chipset drivers(if your MB has a VIA chipset), and try a different video card.

bassman
03-22-2004, 08:37 AM
I think ski nailed it, but HERE (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=325730) is a bit more info on the subject ;)

Good luck

msa969
03-29-2004, 03:54 PM
I have done what Ski had said.

1) Reset the video card
2) Deleted the drivers
3) When rebooted the computer found new drivers.
4) Installed the new drivers

At this point I thought I would see if it works okay. However the random shut down has happened again.

I have found the model of the Video Adapter via:
start/control panel/system/hardware tab/device manager and it is under the icon for display adapters.

NVDA Geforce2 MX/MX 400.

I have been to the link for update drivers but not sure about the section on chip-set, for example the VIA 4-in-1 driver.

ski mentions this:
Install the latest 4-in-1 chipset drivers (if your MB has a VIA chipset),

How do I find the chipset of my computer? And in particular if I should be using the VIA 4-in-1 version?

ski
03-30-2004, 09:52 AM
It's possible the existing video drivers that Windows loaded are corrupt.
To check this, d/l and install the latest drivers from the Nvidia site.
If that does not help, then d/l older drivers from the Nvidia driver archive page.

D/L AIDA32 to determine which chipset your MB uses.
If it's a VIA chipset, then d/l and install the 4-in-1 drivers from the VIA site for your chipset and O/S.

msa969
03-30-2004, 03:27 PM
Thanks Ski, I shall follow your advice

msa969
04-05-2004, 11:15 AM
I am still experiencing problems with my computer.
My last endeavour resulted in twice installing new drivers from Nvidia which included deleting the old drivers and installing the new version from NVIDIA website.

I deleted the drivers through this operation:
start/control panel/system/hardware/device manager and deleting the diplay adapters.

Please note I have not been able to try the other operation as advocated by ski that is installing the VIA chipset as yet.

Recall: the problem is I am getting haphazard shutdowns or computer reboots in safety mode and error message as before.

Please tell me what I should try next?

msa969
04-05-2004, 11:21 AM
I don't know if this it is a seperate problem. But I am also experiencing problem with IE. My computer seems to automatically launch IE every 5 to 10 minutes. The problem it never connects no matter the URL I type so thus I use other browsers mainly netscape. However this is a nuisance and after few minutes I have to manually shut it down.

How can I disable IE or make it work so when I enter an URL it takes me to the website?

ski
04-05-2004, 03:01 PM
Current video drivers are normally uninstalled in Control Panel/Add-Remove Programs.

Did you try using a different video card?

msa969
04-05-2004, 05:08 PM
>ski
>Did you try using a different video card?

No.
I don't have a spare video card.

msa969
04-07-2004, 06:44 PM
Can someone suggest to me what I should try next?

I am open to any suggestion. Thank you.