PDA

View Full Version : Win95 version on 16M RAM 486

Ray Stainer
11-21-2001, 04:53 PM
Gentlemen, I have acquired a IBM 486 with only 16M RAM and an early version of Win95 (it has no games and appears to be very limited). I want to configure this machine for a Grandson and would like to load a proper version of Win9x. There are other wrong configs on the machine but if i can load Win95 I can make it a usable machine; perhaps with some more help later. The machine boots OK but the Win95 is not complete.

Thanks in advance. Ray Stainer.

Whyzman
11-21-2001, 05:30 PM
Hello Ray,

A little more info would help. Would you elaborate on "not complete?"

If there is no data you are desirous of saving...you could just fdisk the Hard Drive and go through a fresh install.

In the meantime you might want to check on the devices you are using and make sure that you have the latest drivers ready to load.

------------------
May all your dealings in life be win/win!

Whyzman

iisbob
11-21-2001, 09:16 PM
I would say stay away from any version of 95 newer than 95B ( which offered FAT32 ), i'd imagine you have less than a 2GB drive on that machine and for that small size the original FAT16 file sytem is best.

I'm also not clear on what you mean by " incomplete" version of 95?!

Is it an upgrade disk for use on a Win3.1 machine originally? Is it a bootleg copy that wasn't finished or burned properly?

You could try Win98/ME but you'd see a serious performance degradation on that old and limited hardware.

------------------
iisbob
"Bachelors should be heavily taxed. It's not fair that some men should be happier than others."
-- Oscar Wilde

mjc
11-21-2001, 11:12 PM
It should handle a full install of Win95 ok...and I agree don't go higher than 95B.

------------------
mjc
Links list:Computer Links (http://www.dreamwater.org/tech/mjc/index.htm)

Celts are the men that heaven made mad, For all their battles are merry and their songs are all sad.

yawningdog
11-22-2001, 12:13 AM
Think about Linux. It's pretty good on those older machines and it's much cheaper, if not free.

------------------
Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach him to use the net, and he wont bother you for weeks.

Paleo Pete
11-22-2001, 01:31 AM
What you're calling a limited or incomplete version of Win95 sounds like someone used the minimal install option when it was installed. That installs the bare basics needed for the OS to run, usually for situations that offer limited disk space.

Check to see what size the hard drive is. If it's 200MB or larger it should handle a full Windows 95 install, but will not have hard drive space available for any other programs if it's under about 300MB.

The average full install consumes about 85-110MB of hard drive space, and around 100MB free for swap file is strongly recommended. Whatever you have left over after that will tell you how much drive space you have left for other programs, such as word processor, Internet browser, graphics and HTML editors, games etc.

If it were me I would try to get at least 32MB memory in it too, 16MB will run win95 on a 486, but it will be a bit slow.

------------------
Support the right to keep and arm bears.
Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email.

Computer Information Links (http://www.dreamwater.com/paleopete/computer.htm) has been moved, please update your bookmarks.

Ray Stainer
11-22-2001, 04:08 PM
Gentlemen,
thank you for all your advice. I will diagnose further in line with all the advice you have sent. The machine is not a 486 after all but a pentium 100MHZ (sorry). I will post more details when I have looked further.
I have managed to load 'Lotus Smart Suite 97' completely successfully, but I need the games (for my grandchildren), that come with the Win95 normally. If i can load them without having to un-install the "limited version" that is currently on the machine, that will be sufficient.
I'll get some more info. first. Thank you all again.
Ray Stainer

Paul Komski
11-22-2001, 06:40 PM
It sounds like your OS is working OK for you and that it is just the very limited number of Games that ship with W95 that you want to be able to access.

Have your W95 CD or floppies to hand and go: Control Panel/Add Remove Programs then open the Windows Setup Tab and scroll down to Games and ensure that the CheckBox next to it is Ticked. Click OK and follow any instructions that follow.

HeHe; I hope I am a gentleman but I know there are gentleladies around here too! http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/wink.gif http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/cool.gif

[This message has been edited by Paul Komski (edited 11-22-2001).]

Ray Stainer
11-25-2001, 02:18 PM
Thank you all for your help. I loaded the additional features from the Win95 disk, and everything I need works fine. Thanks again. Ray Stainer.