PDA

View Full Version : Restarting Windows?

tomtomg59
03-24-2004, 06:04 PM
Hello Everyone, Can Windows be restarted without restarting the computer in XP Home, like it can be in 98? Thanks, Tom

jabarnutcase
03-24-2004, 06:20 PM
Not sure I follow you here tomtomg59
Start Button/"Turn off Computer"/Restart? :confused:

tomtomg59
03-24-2004, 07:55 PM
This is the method but it does not work for xp home>>> Restart Windows without Restarting your Computer

Intended For
Windows 98
Windows 95

Choosing Shut Down from the Start Menu gives you several choices, including restarting your computer. However, to restart Windows without restarting your computer, saving time and aggravation, follow this step:

One time:

Hold down the Shift key while pressing OK in the Shut Down box.

To make an icon on your desktop:

Using a text editor (such as Notepad), type the following by itself

shanmuga
03-25-2004, 02:13 AM
I am afraid this method does not work with Windows Me, Windows 2000, or Windows XP. Only for 95 & 98. :(

tomtomg59
03-25-2004, 06:28 AM
That exactly what i said, but is there a method for xp home that anyone knows about?

shanmuga
03-25-2004, 07:25 AM
Sorry I was not clear, that type of restart where the POST is bypassed is not possible on NT based OSes, AFAIK. Logging the user off and on might have a similar effect.

tomtomg59
03-25-2004, 07:33 AM
shanmuga
Ok, Thank You, I guess i was wish-full thinking!

Kimbo
03-26-2004, 12:24 AM
Found the instructions quoted below on this XP Tips and Tweaks (http://www.freewebs.com/heretic1/winxp.html) page.

Kimbo's Note: Not for the faint-hearted, and ONLY after backing up the registry first! I'm only offering this in answer to your question, and assume absolutely no responsibility for it's outcome, if attempted! I don't know the guy who wrote the instructions and have no idea of his expertise, so it's up to you if you want to give it a try.

"Restarting Windows without have to restart PC!

For those of you who are extremely impatient there's a way of restarting Windows without having to restart the actual PC... I know this has saved me a bit of time when trying out new registry tweaks and such.

First load up regedit (Start -> Run then type regedit and click the ok button). From there follow this path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Microsoft -> Windows NT -> CurrentVersion -> Winlogon. From there add/modify the EnableQuickReboot string value and change it to 1. Save exit and reboot your PC normally.

After that's done every time you want to reboot simply press Shift + Ctrl + Alt + Del and Windows will do a quick restart without rebooting."

I don't have the EnableQuickReboot string value in my XP Pro registry, but I guess if you're into experimentation, you could try creating it and see what happens. I have not tried it myself, but maybe some XP/2000 gurus here can let us know if it's a viable option.

Kimbo

Kimbo
03-26-2004, 05:52 AM
Well, I felt really brave (or was it insane? :D) in the wee hours of the morning so I decided to give it a try. Since I had just backed up everything I figured "what could it hurt?" -- I could test my backup. Worst case scenario would have just been some time lost to a full reinstall, but I'm very happily retired and have the time to waste. ;)

Created the registry string, rebooted, and tried every way I could think of to Shift+Ctrl+Alt+Del a restart without rebooting. While logged on, while logged off at the welcome screen, with task manager open, holding down Shift while clicking Restart, and got absolutely nothing. No response whatsoever.

On the bright side, nothing is messed up either, so unless someone can figure out what I missed, guess we can call this one a dud.

However, as a postscript to what shanmuga mentioned, I've found that logging off does at least partially accomplish the same thing as a restart. Occasionally my CD burner will pop up an 'in use by another program' or 'no writeable disk inserted' error after I repeatedly add files to a CD (when using XP's built-in burning program). Even clearing the files and re-adding them doesn't work -- the burner refuses to cooperate. If I just logoff and back on, the files are still waiting to be burned, the burner fires up and away I go... :D

Kimbo

tomtomg59
03-26-2004, 07:20 AM
I will also give it a try and let you know how i make out!

tomtomg59
03-26-2004, 04:33 PM
Well, i just tried it and it did not work for me either! Maybe some one will come up with a workable solution some day.

John0904
03-26-2004, 05:11 PM
I tried that registry tweak and it didn't work for me either.