PDA

View Full Version : upgrading roadblock

Relztrah
03-25-2004, 08:09 AM
I am attempting to upgrade an old Compaq from Windows 95 to 98. The CDROM works fine under Win 95. I boot with a Win 98 startup disk which I have used several times successfully. After formatting C I reboot and start with CDROM support. (Win 98 CD is in D drive.)

blah, blah, blah

"Device name MSCD001"
"no drivers found, aborting installation"

"ERROR PCI READ CONFIGURATION FAILURE"

blah, blah, blah (bootup proceeds normally)

"The diagnostic tools were successfully loaded to drive D"
"Device driver not found: MSCD001"
"No valid CDROM device drivers selected"

What's going on here? I have gone through this same process many times with this same Win 98 boot disk and never received these error messages. I have always been able to access the CDROM drive in order to install Win 98 from a CD. All cables are connected and like I say, the CDROM worked fine under Win 95.

This is one of those stupid old Compaqs that you canít get into the BIOS to save your life. I previously posted a question about how to enter STARTUP on an old Compaq and none of the suggestions works. (Although since the CDROM worked fine under Win 95 I imagine that everything that needs to be enabled is already enabled.)

I reset CMOS jumper and loaded defaults. Any suggestions?

bassman
03-25-2004, 08:29 AM
I went through the exact same situation about 3 years ago. It is what brought me to http://www.pcguide.com/ubb/pcgubb.gif .
What I had to do was literaly pull the CD drive, locate the manufacturers name and model number, go to their site, find and D/L the drivers for it, then go from their. I finaly disposed of that system after many hours of grief. I will tell you from personal experience, don't waste your time on this dinosaur, it will not function well unless you can come up with the original installation disks. Compaq wanted an amount of money for these disks that was more then the disposal fee :rolleyes:
If you find the correct drivers, the CD drive will work, but it will be wasted effort (IMHO).

Good luck :cool:

computer mutt
03-25-2004, 08:54 AM
I agree with bassman on the headaches that can be found in messing with an old Compaq. I've been down that road more times than I care to admit. I have had luck using a bootdisk from Bootdisk.com (http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm)

The disks you can download have more universal drivers than the regular Win98 start up disk. Good Luck.

mjc
03-25-2004, 02:27 PM
They haven't earned their loving nickname of Compuke fer nutin....:D

Also, you are probably facing the problem that you have wiped the BIOS setup program from the hard drive. Old Compaqs had the BIOS split between the actual settings (stored on chip) and the SETUP program (stored on the hard drive). Without the SETUP program you will never get into the BIOS again.

You can try searching around on the Compaq site, since the merger with HP it has bee a little easier to find some of the older Setup programs.

Like Bassman said, without the original disks you are in for a very long frustrating time trying to dig up all the needed info and drivers to get the thing to work...in other words, figure out how much it would really be worth to get it running.

Also with that error, it is possible that the CD drive is being run off the sound card, in which case you need to load the drivers for THAT first.....

bassman
03-25-2004, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by mjc
[B]They haven't earned their loving nickname of Compuke fer nutin....:D

HEY , I resemble that remark :eek: :D I love my Presario 1200 laptop, and if you remember I had a pretty good time learning my way around here with that old desktop I trashed :P

Anywho Relztrah, you really should weigh the value of this machine against the cost of the asprin you will need ;)

Relztrah
03-25-2004, 10:58 PM
Since this is an old jalopy and it's not MY old jalopy, I'm going to follow your suggestions and re-install Win 95 from floppies--yes, I still have the whole set from my childhood--and give it back to it's owner. Life's too short.

Thanks,
Relztrah