PDA

View Full Version : Missing File

kfh
03-25-2004, 05:28 PM
Hi All,

I can't boot in one of my partitions.
I'm getting a missing file error <windows root>\system 32\ ntoskrnl.exe.
Where can I get this file, and how do I install it if I can't boot to this part of the partition.
I can boot to the other partition which is XP Pro ntfs.

Partition with missing file OS XP Pro Fat32.

Vic 970
03-25-2004, 06:34 PM
try here (http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBF/TIP2700/rh2745.htm)

kfh
03-26-2004, 01:35 PM
Hi Vic,

Thanks for that but it hasn't helped I'm affraid.
Is there any way of reinstalling XP on the drive I cant boot to.

Thanks,

kfh.

Vic 970
03-26-2004, 02:38 PM
I.m not familiar with xp. probably some one who is will come up with some advice.

however, if you have 2 copies of xp ie one on each of 2 partitions is the file that you want on the working o/s ? if so can you not copy that and (whilst running the working partition) and after renaming the corrupt file, paste it into the other partition.

another possibility would be to run setup (from dos) where it should check for, and re-install files ?

kfh
03-28-2004, 02:20 PM
Hi All,
Can someone give me a step by step guide how to run setup from DOS.

Thanks,

kfh.

Paul Komski
03-28-2004, 05:40 PM
It is more likely that boot.ini is not correctly referencing the drive and the boot process therefore thinks that the file is missing.

Dont try to repair from a floppy. Insert the installation CD and [begin] to initiate a new instalation of XP. After the files have been copied there will be a prompt to repair - ignore this - it relates to the recovery console - and carry on with the "new" installation. It should then detect that you already have two installations of XP on the drive and allow you the option to choose on of them to repair. Highlight the one you want repaired (in effect a type of install over) and let the whole process continue but have your CD key ready.

You can initiate the repair installation from within windows but it is generally less confusing to boot to the installation CD and initiate things from there. In such a case your bios must allow CD booting prior to HDD booting in the boot order.

kfh
03-30-2004, 04:11 AM
Hi Paul,

Thanks for that tip I'm up and running again.

:)

kfh.