PDA

View Full Version : System super slow, taskbar missing, PC hangs

treysha
03-26-2004, 10:35 AM
Hi, I'm running a WinXP machine. Its a P3 800Mhz with 128MB RAM. My colleagues are all running PCs with the same specs. But my PC is so, so, so MUCH SLOWER than theirs. Be it surfing the Net, opening programs, exploring windows, you name it. It all takes ages. And lately, my PC hangs whenever it wishes to. Other times, the taskbar just disappeared! (its not on "Auto-Hide", please!). I need to reboot just to see the taskbar again. I have run AV but no viruses were detected. Please. I'm going mad. Please help me.

ski
03-26-2004, 12:38 PM
Did you update your AV program with the latest files before running it?

Also, d/l and run Ad-aware, Spybot, and CWShredder to remove any spyware, and shut down any unnecessary programs running in the background(compare your system with those of your peers to get a handle on which programs to shut down).

And 128MB of RAM seems low for an XP system. Do your peers' systems also use 128MB?

If the above do not help, then do a clean boot to troubleshoot the problem:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310353

If no luck, then there may be a hardware problem.
D/L and run Memtest-86 to check the memory.
If the memory passes the tests, then your HD may be failing.

Budfred
03-26-2004, 10:35 PM
If the other scans don't find the cause, it may be worthwhile to run HijackThis and post the log for analysis.... To run HJT, extract it to a permanent folder such as C:\Documents or one you create like C:\HJT. Close all programs you have opened and make sure that all programs are enabled if you use msconfig. Run it and Scan, then Save the log. When the log window appears, Right click to Copy it, open your browser and come here to Paste the log. Do not make any changes until it is checked since most items are either benign or essential to the computer.