PDA

View Full Version : Formating win XP PRO (ntfs)

beauness
03-28-2004, 03:39 PM
Hey folks! what the heck am I missing. I have a small system here I am giving to a sister n law. 30 gig hard drive that won't let me do a clean install. I'm tiying to take everything that was there on the HD, and start clean for her.
How the heck do I do this? Machine says, formating ntsf is a no do?

How do I get this fixed for her? Thanks, lost in a tin box, Beau

david eaton
03-28-2004, 03:52 PM
If you boot with the WinXP CD, you should be given the opportunityto format the drive from the setup menu, in either FAT32 or NTFS.

How are you booting the machine up at the moment?
If you are using a Win9x boot disk, run fdisk, and remove all partitions.
Reboot with the CD, and format

mjc
03-28-2004, 03:59 PM
Ok, what is currently installed on the drive?

You may need to wipe the drive and start over with a clean drive and the XP CD.

You can get the drive manufacturer's utilities and use them the zero fill the drive, that will return it to its original "clean" state. then you set the CD drive as the first boot device, in BIOS, insert the XP CD and reboot....you then format the drive.

beauness
03-28-2004, 04:10 PM
Currently, it doesn't have a lot, but I am bumping into something that does have a handle on the system that won't let me continue, even in the restore console. I entered format c: /q /fs:ntsf ,and everything looked like we were on our way. Yes, I am ready and willing to lose all my information on drive c:. Click enter right back to desktop, nothing!?
The drive is a new Maxtor, loaded but only used a few weeks and then stored. Has NAV 2003, and not much else that I can think of except, that which comes with xp.
Will Maxtor have this utility to start all over again as I discribed earlier?
Thanks for the reply, and info guys! Beau

Rick
03-28-2004, 04:29 PM
It sounds Like your starting the system from the Hard drive you want to format

You need to start the system from the XP cd..
Go Into the bios and set the boot order
cd, floppy, ide

So it looks for and finds the xp cd in the First cd rom drive..

Then you should be able to clean it out and start fresh

beauness
03-28-2004, 04:34 PM
okay I'll try that again! Just downloaded MAXLLF.EXE, a utiliy from Maxtor. File not complete, what a nightmare!

Thanks again, Beau

P.s. Maxtor site unreachable? Keep getting error mess.

Paul Komski
03-28-2004, 05:23 PM
It sounds Like your starting the system from the Hard drive you want to format This can actually be done by copying the i386 folder to the HDD and then running winnt.exe (instead of the more usual setup.exe) from a boot floppy diskette. Of course in this case you must have the files on a FAT partition otherwise the floppy will not see them to initiate the process. It can be a small partition and then install the OS onto another large partition if you want.

As already indicated don't try to prepare the partitions in advance - unless, that is, you want FAT partitions that are greater than 32GB in size; that is the limit for FAT partitions made by W2K/XP - even though W2K/XP can be installed on and be quite happy with larger FAT partitions.

This is particularly true with NTFS partitions since there are actually different versions of the NTFS format. The installation files or CD, as already mentioned, can quite happily delete and create partitions as part of the installation process - so with the exception of large FAT partitions just do everything with the installation CD/files and not in advance.

If you want to scrub the drive quickly use WipeOut (http://www.lurkhere.com/~nicefiles/index.html)