PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP Reactivation

dilsburger
03-28-2004, 11:57 PM
Last night I upgraded my Nero 6.x.x OEM version to 6.3.1.6 and when I rebooted, Windows shot a message that my hardware drastically changed and I had to reactivate my license.

When I chose to do so using my modem I got an "unavailable" message and was forced to use the 800 number. This worked but I'm at a loss as to why Windows thought I changed so much hardware when I changed none?

Any such experiences? I don't know if I should be ticked or just :confused:

mjc
03-29-2004, 01:15 AM
That does indeed sounds very strange.

Got me scratching the old folicles....no ideas, just questions.

Does Nero run through a hardware check?

And if upgrading a piece of software is enough to push a reactivation, what's next? reactivate when you creat a new Word doc?

Rick
03-29-2004, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by mjc

And if upgrading a piece of software is enough to push a reactivation, what's next? reactivate when you creat a new Word doc?

Dont give M$ any ideas

YODA74
03-29-2004, 08:54 AM
WoW :( This is not cool at all There has to be a different problem going on than just installing a different version of nero.. ? Really doesn't even sound logical..Looks like your not the only person with this problem?

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?threadid=84702

dilsburger
03-29-2004, 09:15 AM
Does Nero run through a hardware check?
No not at all.

There has to be a different problem going on than just installing a different version of nero.. ? Really doesn't even sound logical..
I reformatted my HDD two months ago to get rid of a nagging problem I douldn't resolve with my old CD burner which I replaced 2 weeks ago with a DVD burner. I've had no issues with this config at all. That's the only thing I've touched.

This was totally and completely out of the blue....

If you guys are stumped, I'm scared!

:eek:

Rick
03-29-2004, 10:19 AM
I think what you ran into is the Total Number of items changed
The cd-rw to a dvd and installing nero would also tell windoz that you have a dvd and cd-rw or even dvd-rw

Like adding a NIC forced xp to call home on my daughters system looking to get reactivated
The Overall total hardware changes is supposed to be set to a predetermined limit.
BUT Adding the dvd then having Nero tell windoz it was a RW drive May have pushed it over that limit

dilsburger
03-29-2004, 12:12 PM
I see. I was always under the impression that devices like hard drives or a system board change (something more of a major change) would trigger the reactivation.... but it apparently isn't device specific as I had thought. Thanks.

mjc
03-29-2004, 05:31 PM
Hmmm...the only thing is the drive should have been IDed by the BIOS as a burner, and XP should have picked up on it from the start....but Nero may have made it do that twice........:eek:

dilsburger
03-30-2004, 08:01 AM
I checked my BIOS after the burner install and I'm sure it was a DVD-RW. I may be off the mark here but the original Nero install was an OEM version and after the "upgrade" I had many more features particularly for Video stuff. My suspicion is Nero had a good bit to do with the reactivation, I just am not knowledgeable enough to know what it exactly did. Maybe it was a combination of Rick and MJC's thoughts.