PDA

View Full Version : Bad Uninstall

jondoh
03-29-2004, 12:41 PM
I recently uninstalled Microsoft.Net Framework 1.1 and Advanced Networking Pack For Windows XP using Add Or Remove Programs. There was no warning that this would cause any adverse effects on the operating system. What I got was the loss of several Control Panel applets (Paint, Calculator, Character Map, Sound, etc). System Restore was disabled and all of it's restore points were deleted. I got a lot of it back by going to Add/Remove Windows Components, but I'm still missing some files.

In Device Manager I show this:

Sound, Video And Game Controllers
Audio Codecs
Avance AC97 Audio
Legacy Audio Drivers
Legacy Video Capture Devices
Media Control Devices
MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device
Standard Game Port
Video Codecs

In order to get these devices back, do I simply need to uninstall each device and, after rebooting, let Windows detect them and reload the drivers or does this problem involve the loss of some common files that I'll never be able to track down?

The first 2 or 3 boots afterwards gave me this message:

"THE SYSTEM HAS RECOVERED FROM A SERIOUS ERROR,"

and referred to my scanner or my printer (both working perfectly well before -- and after -- the crash).

Now, without my doing anything to fix it -- other than reinstalling the two programs -- the system boots fine every time.

What I mainly need to know is: Am I sitting on a time-bomb? Will the system blow as soon as I get around to using some system files that I don't realize are missing, leaving me with lots of lost data?

I don't mind formatting, but my eMachines Restore CD is highly suspect. When SFC requests the Installation Disc to replace missing System files, I Insert it and get the message that it is the wrong CD. I'm afraid the same will happen when I attempt to format. I've not gotten very far with eMachines on this issue, but I'm still trying.

Anybody familiar with the full effects of this uninstall?

mjc
03-29-2004, 05:48 PM
1. The restore CD IS NOT the same as the XP install CD...it is really an image of the hard drive as it was shipped from the factory, it is worthless for things like restoring missing files. There should be a folder on your hard drive that contains the actual cab files....that is where you need to point the SFC to.

2. Most of what is listed should be fixed by reinstalling your sound card drivers.

jondoh424
03-30-2004, 02:58 AM
Thanks, mjc; I'm aware of the files eMachines placed on the hard drive, but SFC doesn't identify the file to be replaced, nor does it offer a "browse" feature or any other method of accessing the driver folder.

If you know the trick, I'd sure like to see it.

mjc
03-30-2004, 04:08 PM
Can't you highlight the given path and type over it?

I don't use SFC in XP that much, so I'm not too familiar with its limitations........

jondoh424
03-30-2004, 08:54 PM
Sorry, I don't know what you mean by the "given path." My Drivers folder is not connectrd with SFC in any way that I can see. The only way I can use it is to manually copy the files to System32, but ONLY if I have the FILENAMES that Windows stupidly won't reveal.

Is there possibly a switch that can be used with "sfc /scannow" that would give a listing of the missing files? Does Windows possibly generate a log file for this scan?

I'm going back to eMachines to try and determine how to use the sterile folder they dropped on my hard drive, but I won't get a real answer; just a pat answer from their manual (if there exits such a thing), that may or may not apply at all to this specific problem.