PDA

View Full Version : Can't boot windows xp

mrshovelhands
03-29-2004, 03:07 PM
Evening/morning all,

I've just been round a neighbours house, and he asked me if I could get his pc to boot up.

The screen was just black and white showing the options with "safe mode", "normal boot", "last known configuration" and such things.

I gave them a go, but each time, it tried to boot, but just went back to the same black and white screen with the options for how to boot.

With my limited knowledge, I'm fresh out of ideas. Any suggestions on how to make it boot up again? Or what has happened to it?

It's his young daughter's pc for her schoolwork (fairly new machine). Neither my neighbour or his wife uses it. She says she switched it on on Sunday morning, and there it was - gone.

Any help would be more than appreciated, and very welcome indeed.:(

halovivek
03-29-2004, 03:45 PM
1. first start the system
2. press f8 key in ur key board
3. then select step by step or safe mode
4. say ok or yes to all in step by step mode or in other let it may go
5. in safe mode..it wil not take printers and scanners so dont worry about that
6. it will go for log in screen ..give administrator password
example if the owner of the computer name is xyz ..he is the administrator for that system..give password and go
7.once it logged in .logout and restart .
8.now onwards it will boot in normal
9.always say that shutdown windows in right manner ..like this
start-logout--shutdown

if it is windows 95/98 then make a boot up disk in ur system ...start -control panel-add/remove new programs-startup disk-create disk.

then change the boot sequence to first as floppy drive in cmos

then insert the floppy and restart

it will go to a:/ after restart

then type c: enter

search or type in c:/dir /s win.exe

find the location of that one

go there and type win and enter

it will start windows

Paul Komski
03-29-2004, 05:21 PM
I would suggest a Repair Installation (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315341&Product=winxp)

mrshovelhands
03-29-2004, 05:38 PM
Thanks for your reply Halovivek.

I'll have another go at it tomorrow. I wish it was 98 or ME, I don't seem to have as many problems with my ME as my friends have with their XP's.

:cool:

I wanted to start a thread about how best to format and reload XP on my dad's computer. But I'll do that later, as my neighbour's XP is giving me enough nightmates as it is.

halovivek
03-29-2004, 05:39 PM
dear paul sir,
i agree with u..i read that article it was good and we have to preserve that one.
vivek
( it is very useful to me)

mrshovelhands
03-29-2004, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Paul Komski
I would suggest a Repair Installation (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315341&Product=winxp)

Thank you very much Paul. That was a very helpful link.

:cool:

I'll have a go tomorrow.