PDA

View Full Version : bios settings help what wrong

tmm5899
03-29-2004, 05:31 PM
my bios settings don't seem to be right the boot sequencs says incorrect drive b type enter settings what do i do? what should the boot sequence be for bios 4.0 by phoenix tech. can anyone help me
under top bar it says Main, advanced, security, power, boot,exit
it says
Primary ide master
primary ide salve
secondary ide master
secondary ide slave

also i can see
First boot device
second boot devixe
third boot device
fourth boot device
what do i do the choices are hard drive
removable devices
removable format

i cna choose from network boot cd rom drive removable
what should scan user be set to enabled or disabled. can some one help me you can even send a private message to me for the questions with step by step help.

korky45
03-30-2004, 09:22 AM
Your thread is unclear, it needs a bit more detail of what exactly is happenning. Does it boot up or not. I'm not sure about this drive B either.

If you cannot boot up, but you are obviously able to enter BIOS, why don't you try to reset the BIOS to its default, original or factory settings? The BIOS window will tell you the keys to use to alter any of the settings.

Make a note of all your current settings first, so that you can return to them if you need to. Then just make sure that the CPU speed is showing the correct FSB speed. Press F10 to save the new settings, and you should see the boot up sequence starting and then windows loading up.

Sometimes it is possible for the BIOS to lose its way at times, but its too early to say this with the amount of information that you have given.

Hope this helps.:)

mjc
03-30-2004, 05:03 PM
Also, if you do reset the setting and they change again, the it may be time to replace the CMOS battery.

tmm5899
03-30-2004, 10:22 PM
how do you reset the bios settings mine is version 4.0 phoenix technology i have contacted the company and they can not help me because i am not a computer manufacture does any one know the setup for this?

mjc
03-31-2004, 12:27 AM
There are usually two ways of doing it.....

1. Pulling the battery or moving a jumper on the motherboard.

2. From within BIOS Setup, one of the options will be "Reload default values" or something similar.

You will have to explore you BIOS options to find the exact wording for it...

korky45
03-31-2004, 05:04 AM
follow mjc's advice - there are the two options. Remove the CMOS battery and leave it out for a about 10 to 20 minutes. This will allow the old stored BIOS info to degrade from the chip.

Or on lots of Mobos there is a jumper which you can move this will short out the CMOS chip memory.

Without any BIOS instructions stored in CMOS when you power up your BIOS will automatically return to default settings and boot up your PC.

This is the theory anyway. You will need to know the jumper (from the manual) to use if you are going to try this - or if you move the battery be a little bit careful, don't force it out.

The other option is to reset the BIOS which you apparently can get into. Once in BIOS its not difficult to reset. Just make sure you have a good look around and read through all the options before you do anything.

Once your booted up let us know how you get on, you may need to do a few tweaks to get the BIOS setting exactly right

:)
He who dares - wins (SAS)

Sylvander
03-31-2004, 05:53 AM
Hello tmm.

I made a Word document ["BIOS Setup.doc"] from information on this site.
It explains typical BIOS configuration settings and I have formatted my settings [plus other typically used settings that my PC does not use] in red.
Send me a personal message requesting this document and give an e-mail address to send it to and I'll send it there.

To make a start:
Make:
Primary ide master : Auto
primary ide slave : Auto
secondary ide master: Auto
secondary ide slave : Auto

Your 1st boot device should be your floppy disk drive.
[although if you make it 2nd and your HDD 1st, that protects your PC from a virus infected floppy being booted (this wouldn't be my choice)]
Your 2nd boot device shoud be your Hard Disk Drive.