PDA

View Full Version : Weird Standby/Hibernate question (XP Pro)

jabarnutcase
03-30-2004, 07:08 PM
This is rather strange...(Isn't it always? :p )

First of all, I never use Hibernate or Standby on my desktop machines. Useless to me and nothing but trouble anyway...at least in times past.

(I have my Monitor set to turn off after an Hour, but everything else is set to "never").

I'm looking at a friends Machine right now and here's the strange part...When he clicks "Start, Turn off Computer", his options are:
Hibernate
Turn Off
Restart

On all three of My Computers (Also XP)the options are:
Standby
Turn Off
Restart.........(The difference being, when I hover my mouse over my "Standby" button, it gives you the option of holding down the Shift key to hibernate instead).

I already know the differences between the two, and all about ACPI, APM etc.
AND...The computer does in fact show "Advance Configuration and Power Interface PC" in device manager as configured and working properly.

Now to the point...It's almost as if he has no "Standby" option, yet he has a "Hibernate" option.
I did a little searching, and most people complain about just the opposite!!! (A lot of them don't know that holding down the shift key will give you a choice between the two).

It seems to me that if Hibernate is an option (being the more elaborate of the two, in so much as it actually saves all your present settings before shutting down), then it should be "standby capable" too.

In fact, when I go to my Power Option Settings, under schemes, I have options for both:
"System Standby"..(insert time) AND
"System Hibernate"..(insert time)

On his, the "System Standby" option is missing all together. Likewise, when I go to my advanced tab, I have the following options under "when I press the Power(Or Sleep) button on my Computer:
Do Nothing
Ask me what to do
Standby
Hibernate
Shutdown

On his, the Standby option is not there...(Only the other options). In fact, I did a little search in the forums, and it is very much like the last unanswered post by amateur HERE (http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26878&highlight=No+standby) !

I tried un-checking "Enable Hibernation" just for the heck of it, and then he does have a DIMMED standby button instead of the working Hibernate button.

Any theories? You know me, this is just one of those silly things that bugs me. Is it possible for a Machine to support Hibernation but NOT Standby? :confused:

Man! I can't even believe I just typed all of this nonsense....WHO CARES ANYWAY???? It's not like he's ever going to use either one of them. :mad: :D
I'm the one it bothers. (I sure do wish I wasn't like this!!!) :p :rolleyes:

BTW...Feel free to ignore this post completely unless you're REALLY bored.

(EDIT) Hehe...I just looked back at amateur's post, and it's possible he just never enabled Hibernation or ACPI- this is a bit different as they are both enabled and working....Just no standby.

Paul Komski
03-31-2004, 03:49 PM
It seems to me that if Hibernate is an option (being the more elaborate of the two, in so much as it actually saves all your present settings before shutting down), then it should be "standby capable" too.

Not so sure about that. In order to hibernate, there "simply" has to be a mechanism to (a) save the settings (b) remind the os to return to them when rebooting and then (c) to shut down normally.

System suspend does not shut the system down it just suspends things. This has often been problematic in my experience and I have also seen the OS come up with a warning that there are possible problems with system suspend and does one wish to disable it.

So it sounds as if, either automatically, or following user intervention, that system suspend has been disabled on your friend's pc. I would also suspect that if suspend is a bit flakey that the reason is more hardware than software related.

Final thought is whether there is a BIOS setting that is disabling things.

jabarnutcase
03-31-2004, 04:38 PM
Hey Paul!
Thanks....I didn't really think anyone would have the patience to read that!
Actually, since my post (and after further research) I'm pretty sure I know what the problem is.

Don't ask me why, but I ran an "XP readiness test" even though he's already running XP...(ha! Fooled them huh?) :rolleyes:

Anyway, everything "passed" with flying colors except for the Bios...After reading further.
Microsoft says some BIOS--particularly those created before January 1, 2000--may not be able to take full advantage of Windows XP's hibernation and power management features.
Well, I didn't think it was that old, but I went and read the latest AMI-Bios release notes for his motherboard, and wouldn't you know one of them said: "Fixes the standby selection of the start menu which may become inactive after installing Windows XP"
Bingo!

And you know what? The Machine is running just fine, he's happy- (heck, I'm the only one that needed an explanation), and I'll be darned If I'm going to Flash his Bios just to satisfy me.

All I need is for something to go wrong and this silly little problem turns into a REAL problem. :eek:
(I've done it successfully in the past- After doing it once unsucessfully......I think I'll just leave well enough alone! ;)

Whew...Sure glad it's not one of mine- I'd be looking for trouble as we speak. :D

A little side note...I think even with a Bios Flash, XP would probably have to be reinstalled. Unless I'm mistaken, a lot of that stuff is set up while the OS is examining the system during installation.

Mark Miller
03-31-2004, 04:44 PM
Jab,
If you check under the power options [sceen saver, advanced] I think there is an option for standby or hibernate. If I remember correctly if you pick hibernate that's what shows up when you go to turn off options. I also think that if you hover or right click on hibernate that the standbye option comes up, on this point I could be wrong.
I don't use hibernate because it takes up too much disk space [to keep everything in mem]
Confusing? yes but try it.
Mark

jabarnutcase
03-31-2004, 04:52 PM
Actually Mark, no, that is what I was saying....On mine, yes. But on his the "standby option" was gone completely.
If I remember correctly if you pick hibernate that's what shows up when you go to turn off options. I also think that if you hover or right click on hibernate that the standby option comes up, on this point I could be wrong.

It's really the other way around. With Hibernation enabled, Hovering over the Standby button will give you the option of holding Shift to Hibernate instead.

Believe me Mark, Ive been all over the place in the power options. Appreciate the reply anyway though. ;)

Everyone is happy now....Especially me. :D

Mark Miller
03-31-2004, 05:26 PM
I knew it was something like that
Mark:D :D
These should be our worst problems:D :D :D

jabarnutcase
03-31-2004, 05:37 PM
These should be our worst problems
I'm sure with you there! ;) :D