PDA

View Full Version : Disable regedit

shaffy
03-31-2004, 05:55 PM
how can i disable regedit...i want to make sure that my little nephew doesn't mess with it. Also i don't want to disable it for all users...i search the net but didn't find anything useful. Well, i found this:

Disable Registry Editing Tools

Start/Run/Regedit
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\System

Value Name: DisableRegistryTools
Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
Value Data: (0 = allow regedit, 1 = disable regedit)

Create a new DWORD value named 'DisableRegistryTools' and set the value to '1' to disable registry editing functions.
Restart Windows for the change to take effect.

i get to the point
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies
but there is no /system within policies.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Paul Komski
03-31-2004, 07:07 PM
Which OS?

Also: dont disable regedit without saving a file that you can use to restore it later since you wont be able to get back into regedit to undo the changes.

mjc
03-31-2004, 07:43 PM
That is because you have no policies set.......

In the left hand pane of regedit you create the subkey System, then in that key you create the line in the post you found.

At the time you create that key, before you shut down regedit you may want to export the key and change the value to "0" and sage that reg file. Because you will not be able to get back into regedit yourself...all users means all users, it will be a system wide policy.

What version of windows are you using?

If it is 2k or XP it would be much better to give him a restricted account instead.

shaffy
03-31-2004, 09:04 PM
windows xp home...
i did make a limited account for him, but i'm still able to edit regedit - i mean under his account. is there something more that i have to do beside just creating limited account?

mjc
03-31-2004, 10:10 PM
You would perform that tweak in HIS account, under the surrent user registry key.

That will limit it to that account only.

That way you will still be able to access it through your account.

shaffy
03-31-2004, 11:09 PM
when i try to create a key system, i get the following error:

error creating key
cannot create key. Error while opening the key policies :confused:

Inka
04-01-2004, 12:18 AM
Is it not easier to edit that priviledge in the policy editor? It is early here so I may not be thinking straight yet :rolleyes:

mjc
04-01-2004, 12:32 AM
Not in XP Home.........no policy editor in Home.

shanmuga
04-01-2004, 01:32 AM
shaffy, for disabling regedit for all users try this script from Dougknox (http://www.dougknox.com/security/scripts_desc/regtools.htm[/url), which just automates, what you are trying to do manually. If you want to disable it just for a particular user, once you are in regedit, click edit, then permissions, and then you can set whatever for whoever.

shaffy
04-01-2004, 02:35 AM
thanks everyone.

i figured out what i was doing wrong-- i had to change his account to admin in order to create a key :cool: