PDA

View Full Version : animated pictures

jlreich
03-31-2004, 10:23 PM
Hi everyone. I have a laptop running win2000pro that won't run animated pictures. For example, animated smilies, buddie icons. I have checked security settings, tested java. Everything seems to be fine, at least as far as I can see:rolleyes: The pictures come up, but won't animate.:confused: Java applets and such seem to run fine.:confused:

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

PrntRhd
03-31-2004, 11:30 PM
What file type are you trying to run?

shanmuga
04-01-2004, 01:42 AM
and what browser/image viewer and firewall ?

jlreich
04-01-2004, 07:43 AM
I have IE 6 up to date. I have EZ firewall by Computer Associates. I'm try to view animated gif's like the ones at this (http://www.feebleminds-gifs.com/animate.html) site for example. And animated smilies, whatever format they are???

Any help is appreciated.

korky45
04-01-2004, 08:28 AM
This may be stupid of me to ask, but you have enabled IE6 for - animations, videos, etc. in - tools/internet options/advanced - haven't you? :)

Thanks

shanmuga
04-01-2004, 09:03 AM
That's not stupid, korky45. It's a very valid query. The option 'play animations in web pages' should be checked.

PrntRhd
04-01-2004, 09:55 AM
I'm try to view animated gif's like the ones at this site for example. And animated smilies, whatever format they are???

They are .gif files of course. Check Korky45s advice.

jlreich
04-01-2004, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by korky45
This may be stupid of me to ask, but you have enabled IE6 for - animations, videos, etc. in - tools/internet options/advanced - haven't you? :)

Thanks

Yeah, I checked that and all the settings in internet options: advanced and security settings.

Check this page (http://members.aol.com/saltofan/anitoons.html) . The Tigger pic animates, but nothing else.:confused: Even when I download them to hard drive, same deal.:confused:

But I am suprised that the Tigger pic animated . That's the first one that I have seen animate.:confused: :confused:

Any ideas?

Thanks

Paul Komski
04-01-2004, 05:32 PM
Attached is a zipped up file of tweety.gif downloaded from the last site with the tiger.gif which did animate for you. Download and unzip it onto, say, your desktop. Then RClick on it and choose to 'Open With' Internet Explorer. If it immediately animates, but didnt when you visited the website, then for some reason these pics are taking a long time to download onto your pc and into its cache of temporary internet files.

Could be a connection/bandwidth problem of some sort but have you tried emptying the cache?

Animated gifs that only partially download, may show just one of their frames and therefore not animate; in these circumstances they may even only 'save picture as' .bmp files when RClicking on the pic in IE.

Paul Komski
04-01-2004, 05:33 PM
Forgot - to attach it last time.

jlreich
04-01-2004, 08:37 PM
The tweety file worked fine. But I have the setting to empty temp internet files when browser is closed, so I still don't understand. I also clean everything out with Norton System Woks regularly. And I have cable internet connection that tests between 1.5 - 2.2MBs/258KBs, so connection is not the problem either.

As you said Paul, sometimes r-clicking only allows to save as bitmap. The ones that I can save as gifs work fine, while the bitmaps won't animate???? But that's when I save them, they don't animate when viewing them on the internet as gifs either??? I'm sure this is related though.

The laptop in question is 4 years old, but has 256MB ram. PentIII is slow at 450MGH, but still??? One question though, I have office XP, But still have some office 2000 programs that I am unable to update because I don't have the discs. Is this a possibility?? I'm thinking no, but you guys are the experts. The office XP is completely updated. I have two other machines, one that is way faster, and one that is just a little faster and they both are fine???

I am definitely confused.:confused:

thoughts....

Paul Komski
04-01-2004, 09:24 PM
You could try plumloopy's resolution about two-thirds of the way down at http://forums.devshed.com/archive/t-49300

But it does seem to revolve around a problem in the way that IE goes about caching its pics - even if you are "emptying when browser is closed".

Are you possibly just not waiting long enough for the animated gifs to download. It occurs to me that as soon as the first frame of the gif has downloaded that the pic may render OK (but not animated) and that for all the frames necessary for the animation to download may take much longer to complete.

Don't think it is your pc's specs that are the issue at all - particularly since the tiger got downloaded and was bouncing around.

PS - you could try another browser ???

shanmuga
04-02-2004, 12:15 AM
Check this page . The Tigger pic animates, but nothing else. Even when I download them to hard drive, same deal.

But I am suprised that the Tigger pic animated . That's the first one that I have seen animate.

May be your file associations are corrupted, try associating .gifs to internet explorer. If that doesn't solve your problem, try this script http://www.dougknox.com/utility/scripts_desc/fixpix.htm , which restores default file associations to image files.

jlreich
04-03-2004, 10:10 AM
Hey everyone. Sorry I haven't posted for a couple of days, been out of town.

Anyway, the script worked!:cool: Animation city:D I guess file associations were corrupt. It was annoying me for 5 weeks or so.

Thanks for your help everyone!:D :D

PrntRhd
04-03-2004, 10:38 AM
Glad it worked, thanks for posting results.
:D :D