PDA

View Full Version : trying to install win 98

goober
04-02-2004, 04:28 PM
I bought an older comp at a sale that was supposed to have WIN 95 on it, but only the DOS prompt loads, not the OS. So, I want to load a copy of WIN 98 I have onto it, to see if everything works but am unsure how!

The instructions say load startup disk, which I did than it loads a bunch of files to drive D; and a A:> prompt pops up, I type setup hit enter, like it says but than I get this:
CDR101: NOT READY READING DRIVE E:
abort, retry, fail?

So the book says the start up disk may not have my CD driver, so I downloaded the DOS version and can't seem to get that to work either.

Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Paul Komski
04-02-2004, 07:32 PM
It may well be that Win95 is actually installed. At the C:\> prompt type dir /p; if there is a windows folder in there then windows is probably installed. If so type win at the C:\> prompt and with any luck Windows 95will start up.

If you want to install Windows 98 (assuming the pc is not that old that Win98 will not be a problem for it) then you can either copy the Win98 folder from the installation CD to the HDD and run setup from the hard drive or get yourself a Win98 or other boot disk that has CDROM support on it and install from the CD.

In both instances you may want to delete everything else on the HDD first (or if installing from the CD to format the drive first). You then just run setup from the A:\> prompt of the boot floppy.

gwallen4
04-02-2004, 07:36 PM
Most likely the CD-Rom drive (Drive E: ) is not working.

When you boot with a startup disk and choose boot with CD-Rom support, the following happens:

1) An operating system is loaded into memory.
2) The drivers for CD drives are loaded.
3) A RAM disk is created in memory (a disk in memory that emulates a floppy)
4) Drives are assigned letters:
a) A: drive is floppy drive
b) C: Drive is hard drive
c) D: drive is ram drive
d) E: drive is CD-Rom
5) Files are copied from a: to the new RAM disk D:

Once the startup disk has booted you can go to any of the drives by typing the drive letter, for instance 'C:', and you can list the contents of the drive by typing 'dir' (directory).

You can also 'format C:' which will create a new file system and directory for C:

classicsoftware
04-02-2004, 09:03 PM
Boot with a Win98 startup disk as instructed above. Make sure you choose CD-ROM support and watch to see the drivers load. Do the lights on the CD light up?

Type e: and press enter. Try this with a few different CD's See if you can get a Directory of the files on the CD. If you still get the error, check the IDE cable on the CD and then try a a new CD, they are cheap enough now