PDA

View Full Version : "wipe out" left me dead!

beauness
04-03-2004, 09:49 AM
Last weekend I was trying to erase win Xp pro from HD, in order to do a fresh install. Some one mentioned a program named "Wipe out". Worked great! Now I have no P.O.S.T. beeps at all. No nothing. Dead. A few blinking lights as it seems to be going through the boot process then hangs, no Bios screen. What now?
OOPS, Beauness:(

Quantax
04-03-2004, 11:06 AM
My uneducated guess here is that this wiped out the MBR on the drive so there isn't anything you can do now to access it. However, I'm not a real geek pro(unlike some others here)so maybe there is hope.

Whyzman
04-03-2004, 11:30 AM
Your Harddrive has nothing to do with POST...you should be able to make it through POST without one connected...

Did you move the computer? If you're sure that you're not making it through POST, I would strip the computer back to barebones (disconnect all PCI devices, floppy, any USB) leave only the Video Card, keyboard, mouse, and RAM and see if you can get through POST...

ski
04-03-2004, 11:48 AM
That program should not have caused those problems.
There's a hardware problem if there's no display.

Make sure that all connections are secure, and all cards and the memory are fully inserted.

If those are ok, then try your monitor on another system, or another monitor on yours.
If yours does not work on another system or if another one works on yours, then the monitor is bad.

If your monitor works on another system or another one does not work on yours, then swap out the video card.

If no luck, then reset CMOS with either a MB jumper, or by removing the CMOS battery for at least 30 minutes.
If no luck, then check the CMOS battery for a 3 volt reading minimum. If it's below that, then replace it.

If that does not work, then do a barebones setup by connecting just the power supply, MB, CPU, RAM, video card(no other cards), case speaker, and power-on button, and place the MB on a piece of cardboard.

If there's a display, then the MB is shorting out. Remove all unnecessary metal standoffs where there are no MB holes.
If no good, then place paper washers between the metal standoffs and the MB.

If there's no display, then insert the RAM in different slots.
If no luck, then swap out all components or have them tested to find the bad one.

If there's a display with the above barebones configuration, then add all cards and drives one at a time until the problem resurfaces. The last card or drive that was added is the culprit.

Whyzman,
You're faster than me.

beauness
04-03-2004, 11:56 AM
I took a look at the cmos battery, pretty scuzzy! I wounder if this would be my nemisis? I going to replace with a new one before the whole strip down thing.
There was a day when I just dropped it off, picked it up, it worked! Self inflected torture is a disease ya know.
Thanks for the replies, I'll be back! Beauness

beauness
04-03-2004, 11:58 AM
Cmos bat. 3.04 dcv. I'll try that then let you know! Thanks again

ski
04-03-2004, 12:00 PM
The CMOS battery contacts may also need a cleaning. A pencil eraser normally does a good job.

Whyzman
04-03-2004, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by beauness
Self inflected torture is a disease ya know.I think the first symptom is purchasing a computer! :rolleyes:

Not so much "faster" ski...you're just initially more thorough! ;)

I was going for the, "And then...if that doesn't work you get the joy of removing everything!" :D

Paul Komski
04-03-2004, 12:21 PM
Not sure what your original problems were that led to you using wipeout but the best guess is that the hdd was already on the point of failure. The first thing I would do is to detach the hdd and try and boot to a boot flopppy. A failed hdd can prevent the pc posting (including an inability to get into the bios setup to check it out) - as well as other hardware issues of course.

beauness
04-03-2004, 01:07 PM
Well, new battery, nothing, unplugged everything, nothing, switched mem. to other slot, nothing, no beep errors, no display, just alot of sorrow!
The system worked this morn., just fine, just not the way I wanted it to.

What have I missed?

Paul, I had, after boot up, a blackish, (DOS looking) screen asking which copy of xp I would like to start with. So each time the system the system booted you would have to choose and hit enter. I didn't like this procedure so I wanted to fix. Instead, I screwed it up! I got up this morning, hit power on, system started as it should. Shut down, put in "Wipe Out", turned power back on to boot to this cleaner, or eraser, what ever it does, not much happened. Went thru cmos, boot, and came back to that blackish screen. When anything on the keyboard was hit, nothing. I tried reboot, and it left me where I am now, Nothing!
Hard drive is new. Only loaded once, and hardly used.
So confused!
:confused:

ski
04-03-2004, 01:11 PM
It appears that you're at the point where components have to either be swapped out or tested to find the cause.

beauness
04-03-2004, 01:15 PM
I swapped out the HD already, no go, The only thing I haven't tried is the floppy, Doesn't seem right.

david eaton
04-03-2004, 01:16 PM
Shut down, put in "Wipe Out", turned power back on to boot to this cleaner, or eraser, what ever it does, not much happened. Went thru cmos, boot, and came back to that blackish screen. When anything on the keyboard was hit, nothing. I tried reboot, and it left me where I am now, Nothing!

Hmmm..............
Is that floppy disc still in the drive?
It's possible that the floppy is faulty if that happened.

beauness
04-03-2004, 01:24 PM
No I have quarentined the wipe out disk. Swapped a: drive. Still nothing! We can do this! I can't take it in to the kid at the shop, wife won't let me in again! Well she would, but the laughter?

ski
04-03-2004, 02:33 PM
Did you swap out all of the components involved in the barebones setup?

beauness
04-03-2004, 02:39 PM
everything!, That I could remove and swap! HD, Floppy drive, memory, monitor, unplugged, reconnected all all wires, cables, the lot. Still, just fan, no beeps. I can feel all drives running.

ski
04-03-2004, 02:51 PM
Unfortunately, that's not everything, and so.....

beauness
04-03-2004, 02:59 PM
lost me!

Whyzman
04-03-2004, 03:31 PM
When you bareboned...did you disconnect the cables from the motherboard or from the drives??

As I pointed out earlier, you don't need a harddrive to make it through POST. However, as Paul pointed out, if there were a problem with the connected harddrive it could stall the POST...same could be said if the cable is the problem, so be sure to pull the cable at the motherboard.

I would forget about swapping anything but the essentials at the barebone level...

If you cannot get it to go through POST at the "grassroots" level adding drives or swapping them out will not point us in the right direction...

I would suggest clearing the CMOS, jumpering the clear using the manual directions...

Strip back as ski suggested on cardboard...if still no POST then we're looking at RAM, CPU+Fan, Power Supply, Video Card, motherboard, monitor, keyboard

Take the easiest first, Fan connected properly to motherboard header?

Monitor checks out?

Try it without the keyboard connected...

beauness
04-03-2004, 03:36 PM
I've done everything that you folks have suggested. I am now with MB in hand, and going to have it tested. I don't understand what I did, but I did it good I guess! Yes, she is already smerking.
Thanks for your time! Beau

Paul Komski
04-03-2004, 04:11 PM
I had, after boot up, a blackish, (DOS looking) screen asking which copy of xp I would like to start with. So each time the system the system booted you would have to choose and hit enter. I didn't like this procedure so I wanted to fix.
This sounds like a normal multi-boot menu screen and the way to have corrected it was simply to have correctly edited the boot.ini file. Also, since you appear to only be using WinXP you must have made at least two installations of WinXP onto your hdd. If by hitting one of the boot options the system booted normally then there was very little wrong with your system at that point in time.

My uneducated guess here is that this wiped out the MBR on the drive You could not have wiped the mbr, partitions etc if you did not first boot successfully to the boot floppy containing wipeout, then entered the correct commands and got a confirmation message telling you that you would now have to re-partition and fomat your HDD.

I also agree with David that it is likely that either the boot floppy with wipeout was faulty, is still in the drive or the bios setup wasnt set up to boot to a floppy.

Whyzman's idea of clearing the CMOS also seems a wise one. A boot sector or cmos virus from an infected floppy must be other longshots. Although a hardware problem may be on the cards - I'm not totally convinced of it. Are you dead sure you know how to get into the bios setup and just cannot get to these settings? If the bios setup cant be reached then the pendulum swings back to this being a hardware problem.

beauness
04-03-2004, 06:17 PM
No smerk, shear anger now!:D MB was done I guess, so, new board, new RAM, new CPU. Credit cards are so handy! On our way.
Sorry for the confusion, and thanks again for the help! Beauness

beauness
04-03-2004, 06:25 PM
Paul you are so right, as usual! After all my frustrations and worry, I found my fix by just simply deleting a OS,or two that were on there and started fresh from the boot disk. I feel like a fool. That was what I was trying to do by using that wipe out program.

Next time I will ask, before I let my stubborn pride get me in trouble!

Beau