PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP Setup Wizard

procket52
04-03-2004, 11:16 PM
Am running Win XP Home Edition. Everytime I boot up the machine and get to my desktop, up pops a window that says "Welcome to the Windows XP Q329834 Set Up Wizard. It asks me if I want to install it to which I say Yes and it goes off and does its thing. Looks like it adjusts some registry settings etc. It then comes back and tells me the install was successful and the window closes and off I go. It does not seem to impact the operation of the PC at all. But every time I reboot I have to go through the entire set up process again. No big deal, but more of a pain and just wondered if anyone might have a solution to eliminating this ever present wizard. Thank you.

shanmuga
04-04-2004, 06:02 AM
May be a glitch with setup wizard. Run msconfig and check the startup tab for the entry, uncheck if found. If not look for the entry in the following locations in the registry and delete the particular key.Needless to say backup the registry before attempting to modify it.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Run

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\RunOnce

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\RunOnce

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\RunOnce\Setup

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\RunOnce\Setup

It'll also be a good idea to check whether the patch is actually installed in your system.

procket52
04-04-2004, 07:28 PM
Dear Shanmuga, thank you very much for the advice. I followed your suggestion and there it was on the start menu. I disabled it and am now all set. PC Guide Forum strikes again. Appreciate the timely assistance. Peter.