PDA

View Full Version : Losing Hard Drive Files Due to Disk Cleanup That Are Essential, Please Help

majorkerina
04-04-2004, 07:05 PM
It happened once so far, my partitioned drive D was wiped by the Disk Cleanup (about 7 gigs wiped apparently). I think there's something wrong with the program. In the latest Windows update it added "Catalogue files for the Index Viewer" to Disk Cleanup options and since I it had a large clear number I figured it would be helpful but when I'd selected it, it wiped out all the files in that hard drive. And now, I've recovered some files and the ones on the main Drive without any file extensions just on (D:) have vanished and I think Disk Cleanup is running when I start up. And I'm really confused and scared and I don't know what's going on or how to fix it. Please please, any help would very appreciated. Thank you.

majorkerina
04-04-2004, 07:45 PM
Can anyone please offer any advice :(?
Or if not, can you direct me to sites with forums which might be able to help with this problem? I'm scared to turn off my computer because Disk Cleanup might wipe out C drive then my computer won't even turn on :(

Paul Komski
04-04-2004, 09:55 PM
Which version of Windows?

Regardless - you should be able to shut down any running programs (and processes in Win2K/XP) from Task Manager.

Three-fingered salute time: press CTRL+ALT+DEL to reach Task Manager.

Press F8 during bootup to boot into Safe Mode which will grant you minimalist access without running anything extra.

Run msconfig from within windows to turn of startup items.

Run antivirus, antispyware and hijack this, etc. See http://www.pcguide.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=34 for details.

majorkerina
04-04-2004, 11:18 PM
XP, I ran some Registry editors lately, might one of them done something? And is that option in Disk Cleaner supposed to delete all files or is it doing something wrong?

majorkerina
04-18-2004, 02:20 AM
I discovered the cause of problems.

Here's the whole story.
Over the past couple of weeks I've had sporatic problems. My moniter flickered. My anti-virus software stopped working. My notebook would randomly auto-reboot. The catalog for index viewer option in Disk Cleaner deletes all files. And I couldn't figure it out. Then I tried to remove the Windows XP SP1 pack. And Windows got wiped out. Not only that, the hive, the registry, anything even slightly related to Windows XP, as well, the auto recover ability was wiped out too. Personal file recovery was made difficult by the fact the changes made allowed the copying of only one file at a time. The mass copy ability was gone. The guy (gotta give him a shoutout for doing the whole recovery without charge) who fixed it said it might have been malware code or a Trojan Horse. Has anyone heard of a virus with these symptoms so I can be on the lookout in the future or if there are any remnants left?