PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP Activation

higenbs1
04-05-2004, 07:18 AM
I've recently purchased a Laptop, which came with XP installed and on disc. I'm in the process of building a desktop PC, and would like to install XP using the disc. Is this legal, as I've effectively bought the software with my laptop?
If so, is it possible to have both the laptop and desktop registered at the same time.

Would Dell have already registered the copy of XP that I've got before I purchased the PC?

jabarnutcase
04-05-2004, 07:39 AM
which came with XP installed and on disc
Are you talking an actual Windows XP CD, or a "recovery partition" on your hard drive? (Or a Dell recovery CD)

Either way, you won't be able to use it on your desktop.
If it's a Dell CD, it is just a "recovery" CD, and designed to restore the original factory configuration of that specific Laptop.

If it's a legit XP CD, it would require activation. Especially since the hardware is a whole lot different....And you can't use one key on multiple PC's anyway. (At least not without purchasing another license).

(Although I have heard that it's been done in some cases with no problems). :rolleyes:

shanmuga
04-05-2004, 09:56 AM
I have always believed, as it has always been with all Microsoft operating systems, it's necessary to purchase one WinXP license for each computer on which it is installed. Technically - installation is no problem.Activation will either require two licenses or a lot of lying on your part. The windows xp professional product documentation also says this on a somewhat similar question. (Bold lettering is mine)

Can I make a second copy of my Windows operating system software for my portable computer?

The End-User License Agreement (EULA) for many Microsoft application software products contains the following sentence: "The primary user of the computer on which the SOFTWARE PRODUCT is installed may make a second copy for his or her exclusive use on a portable computer." If your EULA contains this sentence, then, subject to the conditions mentioned, you may make a second copy of the software. Note that you must be the primary user of the computer on which the software is installed. The primary user is the individual who uses the computer most of the time it is in use. Only that individual is entitled to use the second copy. Furthermore, the software must be installed on the local hard disk of your computer; you are not entitled to make and use a second copy on your portable computer if you run the primary copy of the software from a network server. Finally, only one secondary copy may be made; you may install this copy on more than one portable computer.

Please note that many Microsoft products are copy protected and it will not be technically possible to make a second copy of the disk. If you are a Licensee of software that includes copy protection technology, please call the Product Support Services number provided for that specific product to learn whether or not unencrypted disks can be obtained.How do you interpret this in your situation? Desktop to laptop is legal. Laptop to Desktop legal ? Also note that the answer doesn't say anything about activation.

Atom_1130
05-11-2004, 01:02 PM
Although it is intended for activation on one computer ONLY, after a few months XP Pro can be flawlessly installed and activated on other systems. Seems that after a few months MS wipes the slate clean and in a sense your serial number becomes "fresh". Oh, another thing, only some of the Dell XP cd's are restore disks. It appears that if you don't buy the pre-made computers, instead "building" one to your specs you get a full working copy of XP although it still has the Dell label on it, you MUST manually enter the serial number

roy67ss
05-12-2004, 01:13 AM
OK guys, this has absolutly nothing to do with my laptop and I have never had anything to do with Dell. I am referring to the system I built in my sig. I have a winXP pro cd that I bought in a sealed package and installed on my computer. It has a serial # that is required to install like any other factory made program. I was of the impression that there was more to the installation as far as activation is concerned or is that all that it takes to make it 'active'?
There was never any contact with MS, other than updates, since I did the install.

roy67ss
05-12-2004, 02:44 AM
Sorry guys, I was looking at the wrong thread when I replied to this one.
Mine was very similar. Please disregard the above response.