PDA

View Full Version : Unnecessary files in windows 2000

satish_halemani
04-07-2004, 08:44 AM
Hi,
I wanted to know what all files(apart from temp files) we can delete in windows 2000 prof with affecting the Operating system.I want to know this as i have to free up some space on the hard drive.thanks for any input in advance

ski
04-07-2004, 09:49 AM
Clean out the History, Temp, and Temporary Internet Files folders, delete all unnecessary .bak, .bk2, .bk3, .log, .tmp., and .txt files, and uninstall all unnecessary applications.

You can also delete any Windows installation .cab files if you have a Windows full installation CD(not the upgrade version).

And you can specify a max swapfile size, which will prevent Windows from automatically increasing the swapfile size above the max limit that you select.

satish_halemani
04-08-2004, 06:34 AM
how about deleting or moving C:\WINNT\ServicePackFiles.apart for the sake of uninstallatio purpose is this actively used by system.

shanmuga
04-08-2004, 06:46 AM
You may if you are sure you DO NOT want to uninstall the service pack any time in the future. Go through this and decide HOW TO: Remove the Service Pack Restore Files and Folders in Windows (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=290402) .