PDA

View Full Version : Registry Backup list - can anyone explain this?

mike2002
04-10-2004, 07:43 AM
If something less severe goes wrong with Windows 98SE, I occasionally roll back the Registry to the previous day.
Todays date is the 10th of April, but I'm confused at the first item in my list of cab backups:

05/26/04 started rb002.cab.

It then continues with todays date:
04/10/04 started rb003.cab
04/09/04 started rb001.cab
04/08/04 started rb000.cab

The first item would appear to be the 26th May 2004, but what exactly does it mean? :confused:

shanmuga
04-10-2004, 01:37 PM
I have seen it happen once but the owner confessed to twidling the system clock on the particular day for some nefarious purpose. Anyway this backup will not be overwritten until after that date. I suggest that you delete this .cab file from windows\sysbckup and create a new one by booting in DOS and running 'SCANREG /BACKUP'.

mike2002
04-10-2004, 02:52 PM
shanmuga: Have deleted it as suggested; I'm was surprised that Windows allowed this on an important file. Is there any necessity to create a backup in it's place, seeing that the past few days are listed?

shanmuga
04-11-2004, 04:21 AM
I'm was surprised that Windows allowed this on an important file.I guess that windows just goes by the system clock.
Is there any necessity to create a backup in it's place, seeing that the past few days are listed?No, not absolutely necessary, as an automatic backup is created at the first successful boot in any 24 hour period. Thus rebooting daily (and successfully) creates 5 days' worth of backups - regardless of how many reboots you actually perform during those days (only the first successful boot is recorded).

On a side note, the maximum number of backups that can be saved is 100.To change the default, open windows\scanreg.ini and change MaxBackupCopies=5 to whatever you want. Bear in mind this will eat hard drive space like crazy if you set it too high.

mike2002
04-11-2004, 09:21 AM
Yes I've read about increasing the number of backups, but restoring them requires a different proceedure - which I've never bothered (or had occasion) to get my head around!!