PDA

View Full Version : forgot hard drive wipe procedure

Cornbread
04-11-2004, 02:00 PM
I'm tired of jackin with this PC so I want to format the hard drive again and reload XP pro. What's the simplified procedure to format the c drive?

Don't you usually have to just restart the computer with the XP disk inserted? I just want to use this machine to play Battlefield Vietnam, and to have internet access. Its 2-3 years old now, AMD 1300 CPU/Asus A7V133 motherboard, 384MB of PC133 RAM, Geforce FX 5200 128MB video card. Can my machine run this?

I don't care if there's nothing else on this computer, as long as it will smoothly run the aforementioned game.

Paul Komski
04-11-2004, 02:24 PM
Boot to the CD.

Choose new installation.

When it reaches the installation options choose to delete the original partition and then install the new installation into the free space that this generates. Just read all the prompts carefully. If anything is confusing then post back.

Make sure you have all the necessary drivers and the cd's 25digit key before you start. Consider backing up the activation files before proceeding otherwise you will have to re-activate after your new clean installation.

Cornbread
04-11-2004, 03:26 PM
upon restart, the computer isn't booting from the CD ROM for whatever reason. also the XP pro OS I have is on a CDR disk.

Budfred
04-11-2004, 03:46 PM
I suspect you are running into copy protection and that you need a legit WinXP install disk to do what you want. There are other ways to wipe the disk, but you will still need a legit copy to reinstall....

jabarnutcase
04-11-2004, 04:19 PM
Yes...What's up with the CD-R? Is it a Copy you made from a legit Disk that you own?
In any case, you will certainly need the legitimate Key handy that Paul mentioned.

In many cases, (although not all for some reason), you have to go into BIOS and set your Boot order to Boot from the CD Drive first, rather than the FDD or HDD as it is most likely set at the moment.

If you already know this, and have tried it without success, then it may very well have to do with the "origin" (and condition) of that "copy".

Paul Komski
04-11-2004, 04:35 PM
I haven't come across copy protection on XP install CDs and AFAIK it is usually legitimate to make at least one backup copy for oneself - a thing one would certainly be doing if one was creating an unattended installation CD. Any inherent "copy protection" was sort of replaced by "product activation" in XP.

As Jabar points out, if the BIOS setup IS set to boot to CD before the HDD then a bad copy might have been made. You might still be able to workaround this by copying just the i386 folder to a fat partition and running winnt from a normal boot diskette.

Cornbread
04-12-2004, 11:10 AM
Bad copy on disk. That's why it wouldn't work. I'm still gonna fill my computer box with explosives, though.

Thanks for the help, men.

Corn

Paul Komski
04-12-2004, 01:23 PM
Thanks for letting us know the outcome.

Cornbread
04-14-2004, 06:55 PM
Hey Paul, it's the least I could do. You da man.

Capt Cornelius Cornbread