PDA

View Full Version : [i]Start[/i] and [i]taskbar[/i]

Fruss Tray Ted
04-14-2004, 07:41 PM
Here's a strange one for someone to try to figure out.
Platform
W98SE
IE6
P500
?Ram
HP Pavilion all original

A friend had some spywares and probably a couple viruses on his pc. We eradicated it as it seems, every scan comes out clean now and the system is working normally again.

What has happened during the malware invasion is that the Start button and any open programs in taskbar appear at a slant as if italics were applied to them. The open program is ok, just in the taskbar is affected. But the startup items near the speaker and clock are normal.

If you click on Start, the column with Favorites and Programs etc. is also slanted and the column is nearly an inch from the left side of the screen at the top where it is against the edge at the bottom as it should be.

Bootup, Splash and DOS screens are normal. Trapezoid, Horizontal and all other monitor controls are set correctly because the outer limits of the display are perfectly square. The right side of the Windows screen is nice and straight vertically. The bottom and top are perfectly parrallel and horizontally aligned. It is only the left edge of Windows that is misaligned.

'Hurlit Pukehard' of course :rolleyes:, has recovery CD's and not stand alone OS'es and drivers on cd's. I have done a full format type restore to it awhile back, but don't recall if there was a fix option as well on the cd's. I'm not there now and wonder if anyone has any opinions or points of interest on the subject.

Wondering if we'll need to do a full reinstall again. It has an expired McCrappie and a ton of other useless softwares that we have to spend hours uninstalling after a format of this type. Just trying to save some time and learn a little as we go.

Thanks for reading...

PrntRhd
04-14-2004, 09:00 PM
Probably is a registry tweak to fix the Italics thing.
I just dont know which one.

jlreich
04-14-2004, 09:04 PM
Hey FTT, I don't remember if win98 has the option to change the font style in 'advanced display properties' (I know XP does), but thought that maybe somehow the baddies changed the font to italics. Actually now that I think about it, I think I had this happen to me a couple of years ago when I was using win98. Something I downloaded changed all of my windows fonts to something crazy. After I uninstalled the program, I simply changed the fonts to something I liked and everything was fine.

Anyway, I thought if you had not already thought of it, look to see if there is an 'advanced' settings in display properties and see if the italics is on.

Hope this helps.

Fruss Tray Ted
04-14-2004, 09:49 PM
Thanks very much.

Kicker is, it's not italics, it's just slanted. Like some views, hmmm :rolleyes:. This one just lean's to the middle on the Desktop! Ahh! A clue!
Thanks again!

jabarnutcase
04-14-2004, 10:39 PM
Ahh! A clue! Yes...was just looking around in Appearance/Advanced desktop properties and there are some options that may cause that effect.

Can't remember if it's the same with 98 though.

(EDIT) Well, thanks a lot FTT . Now you've got me fooling around with different XP color schemes..... Never really cared one bit before. I hope you're happy now! :mad: I'll have this desktop totally messed up before I'm done!

Not to mention a Google search on how to change the Start Button Color....Which apparently is no easy task and requires either a Third Party Program, or some registry tweaks and editing. Still looking into it.
BTW....Just kidding about the...:mad:---------------> :D

shanmuga
04-15-2004, 03:21 AM
Did you try changing to a different theme and back? You can also try by changing the font of 'active title bar', it also changes the start button font. It's in appearance tab of display properties.