PDA

View Full Version : System stand by oddities

PtBetsie
04-14-2004, 08:45 PM
When working, I shut down the pc each morning and turned it back on at night. Now that I am home during the day, I decided to try using the standby mode. It works okay, but after coming out of standby, the printer no longer responds. Although I connect to the Internet just fine, Eudora puts up all sorts of error messages and doesn't send or receive. I have to reboot to clear things up. Is this oddity just my pc or standard for standby mode?

PrntRhd
04-14-2004, 08:53 PM
What OS are you running? Some patches are out for some of the symptoms you are describing, do you have your computer updated?

If it is WIN 98, the power management has never quite worked right.

:rolleyes:

PtBetsie
04-14-2004, 09:59 PM
Yes it is 98SE. I had heard that some pc's won't wakeup if put in standby but luckily mine doesn't do that. It "mostly" wakes up; just leaves it's driver memory in sleep mode I guess.

jabarnutcase
04-14-2004, 10:11 PM
I found the best bet with Power management with any M$ OS, is to either not use it at all, or set just the Monitor to shut down..(The biggest power hog), and set everything else to "never".

But that's me. ;)

Edit....(To add "M$" to "OS" above). :D

Paleo Pete
04-15-2004, 01:33 AM
I'll agree with nutcase on this one, set Power management to shut down the monitor and nothing else. Standby in win98 has always been problematic at best. I've run across a number of machines that would either acts strange or have to be shut down to get them back to normal after Power Management took over. Don't even think about hibernate...

Do you have a screensaver running? That can cause problems more than anything else, especially if it comes on AFTER Power Management shuts off the monitor.