PDA

View Full Version : Connection to AOL with Netgear DG834G

schultzm
04-21-2004, 04:38 PM
Does anyone know if I will have a problem connecting to AOL using a Netgear DG834G wireless router/modem/switch/firewall.

AOL say they only support Thompson (Alcatel) routers so they cannot provide any technical assistance.

I found a link to a site that claims to provide so installation information for Thompson with AOL

http://www-stg.aolsvc.co.uk/help/Speed545.htm

I cannot think of a reason the Netgear cannot be configured to connect but if you can please let me know.

classicsoftware
04-21-2004, 06:57 PM
There should be NO problem. What version of AOL are you using?

schultzm
04-21-2004, 07:59 PM
I'm not sure but probably AOL 9

classicsoftware
04-21-2004, 10:12 PM
Let's backup a second?

Who is your DSL provider?

Did you install the DSL software?

Did you get a router?

Is your DSL PPPoE?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
The way you setup AOL is go into setup or add a new location and the connection manager in AOL 9 will automatically detect a broad band connection. You will have to give the connection a name so you can distinguish between broad band and dial-up. In previous versions you will have to chhose between modem and TCP/IP LAN.

Now that you have broad band, you will need a router (hardware firewall) and a software firewall. In addition you will especially need to make sure you have up to date anti-virus software and spyware blocking software.

Please post back with the naswers to the questions I asked and we will be able to help you get going safely.

schultzm
04-22-2004, 09:30 AM
DSL provided by BT (through AOL).

There is no DSL software because the PC's and router are connected to the LAN.

The router is Netgear DG834G wireless router/modem/switch/firewall.

classicsoftware
04-22-2004, 10:46 AM
You just need to add a new location in AOL and follow the prompts and AOL should go right through the DSL.

I would also get a software firewall, I personally use Zone Alaram and found it easy to use.

schultzm
04-22-2004, 11:02 AM
I also use Zone Alarm - however I recently installed the 1 month free trial of McAfee Personal Firewall Plus and found that it reported lots of unauthorsed accesses that Zone Alarm did not detect.

Have you any idea how these accesses got through the hardware firewall when all inbound access was blocked OR were they erroneous logs?

Would you recommend the free or professional version of Zone Alarm?

classicsoftware
04-22-2004, 11:30 AM
I personally use Zone Alarm. I would use the freee edition. It depends on what access you are getting. You would have to show us waht programs are trying to gain access to your system. You would need to go into the netgear settings and tighten them up

Go to GRC's Site and test to see of all of your ports are stealth (https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2) and post back the results.

deddard
04-23-2004, 06:14 AM
I've not used Macafee, so I can't comment on it. Zone Alarm Pro is getting my vote (and my money:D ) at present - it seems a good, stable Firewall. The reporting features vary - you can choose not to have reports if you like. The Pro Version comes with an AV scanner for emails - which seems to work happily with other AV apps as well - it's completely transparent, and I run Norton AV as well - a dedicated AV is always necessary, as the updates are usually more frequent.

Hardware firewalls only stop unwanted INCOMING signals, and must be configured to do so - you should log into the Router and ensure that 'do not respond to ICMP ping' is enabled, and that the Firewall funciton itself is enabled. Also set a password for the configuration for the Router - it is possible to find details of the router by pinging etc, and if hte default values have been left, it could well be possible for someone to telnet to the router and do whatever they like with it.

If you have any worries (and even if you don't!) you should always run adaware and spybot to remove anything that could be sending outgoing signals - these will NOT be stopped by a hardware firewall unless you get tricky with it;)

PrntRhd
04-23-2004, 08:59 AM
I also want to add that when you are using wireless, it is important to enable security features such as encription in the router. This discourages outsiders from getting free internet service at your expense and keeps them out of your network.
:)