PDA

View Full Version : SideWinder scrolling...

Fruss Tray Ted
04-21-2004, 07:18 PM
Not to rant or anything, but just to mention, esp. if others are experiencing this on their end as well.

Lately many of the forums are too wide for my browser settings and viewing the forums in general are getting somewhat annoying. I realise at a greater resolution it wouldn't be as much an issue but to keep my fonts and icons as big as I prefer to view them I'd need a panoramic or widescreen monitor (just a thought :cool: ) just to keep from scrolling sideways back and forth. I remember when ixl set up the newest layout of the forums that he tweaked a way for individual posts to take on a width of their own. But the listing's pages don't seem to have that same feature. Therefore the way the titles and other columns are used dictates how wide the page will be.

I think I've tracked down the 2 reasons it is that way and am requesting a fix if any of the higher ups would be so kind to do it (ie. mjc, Pete and ixl). (Please, pretty please :( )

On my browser at least, in PC World, the 2 'moved' threads have long titles with no spaces and in so are strettcchhiinngg the left box so aallll the page is widened. A simple spacebar hit in selective spots in the title would remedy the situation quite well I'm sure. Any mod could do that I assume.

Almost all the other forums are stricken with a more subtle widening due to mjc's sticky post at the top on 'mslaugh/....'. This is in twofold though. One, the title has no spaces, two, mjc's 'title' is too long, in a way. I'm not aiming anything at you mj, just noting where the software problem lies/lay/lays/ (I always got those confused in school :o ). There are spaces in the title but the allowance of the 'posted by box' is set too wide (IMO) and coupled with the width of the title box it makes our viewing pages very wide especially for those non gamer's with bad eyes setting resolutions to 800x600 and esp. 640x480

Oh boy, guess my days are numbered after this one... :eek: Anyone else noticed how w-i-d-e everything is or is it just me? If I increased my resolution I'd need a bigger monitor. Or 'Coke bottles'...

Mark Miller
04-21-2004, 09:06 PM
Hi FTT,
You must be at a really low res because at 1024/768 the pages fit just fine and there is only up and down scrolling,
Hope this can be worked out for you.
Mark

Paleo Pete
04-25-2004, 10:26 AM
Sorry, I didn't see this till this morning. I noticed the two threads you're referring to, but can't do anything about it. I can edit the post, but not the title. I sometimes do try to edit posts that end up too wide, and narrow them to fit, which is not hard to do. The title/topic of a thread I can't change. Maybe ixl can, but I can't.

I'm running 1024x768 on this machine, (Mandrake, Galeon browser, 17" monitor), but I keep the browser window about 3/4 of the full screen size so I can keep a system monitor beside it and the lower portion of the IRC window at bottom. The wide posts scroll off my browser window too. At full screen it's no problem, but that would eliminate the other desktop items I want to have handy.

I don't normally do it, but once the people who posted the threads know where they have been moved to, I might consider deleting the originals, or we can wait a few more days and they will be moved down to the next page by new threads.

Fruss Tray Ted
04-26-2004, 05:53 PM
Thanks guys for the replies, yes I am at a low resolution. Just like New Years resolutions, I like to keep them at a minimum. ;)
I have a couple programs that run better at a higher setting and have to toggle it back and forth once in awhile when using any of those particular programs.

Pete,
I realize the problem will 'go away' when enough posts are made in a particular forum but some of these forums don't get many new threads therefore linger for quite some time. I suppose I coud start a whole pile of useless ones (what else is new :rolleyes: ) to bury the other ones but it's not that they are so bad, it's just what it does to the browser window.

And thanks Mjc for doing what you could as we discussed in mIrc.

Just call it another one of My Pet "Peeves" (http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9568&highlight=My+pet+peeves), like my cat that has to have it 'just so'... :D

Oh, and Pete,
Get another monitor! (http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20203&highlight=Dueling+monitors) Are there any widescreen models?!? That would be sooo :cool:

EDIT: ..just noticed I never replied lastly in the thread :o Sorry, I resolved it in mIRC. All it ever needed was the drivers for the new card to be installed. From there, the rest was a breeze... :o :o

Paleo Pete
04-27-2004, 12:30 AM
Well, I don't know of any wide screen monitors, but I guess a TV would work... :D

I didn't bother replying to that thread, it's over a year old, but you never did say if you got it working or not...Probably not until you installed drivers for the add-on card...If you're still using the 17" monitor, 1024x768 works really well on mine, gives you lots of desktop real estate and I can read mine without my glasses. And that's on the Mandrake box, which seems to use a bit smaller text for this browser. Desktop icons and start menu are no problem at all, plenty big at default settings. Same for the win98 machine when I had it on a pair of 17's. I run my current 15" monitor on it at 800x600.

With the windows machine I saw how it looks to you last night, I know that's not fun but there's not much I can do about it. Does the same on this machine, since I have the browser resized to give me room for other apps. I just live with it...

Fruss Tray Ted
04-27-2004, 07:10 AM
you never did say
I just did in my edit above... Sorry I left it open ended. Haven't been using dually's lately but may again soon enough. It was wayyy cool! :cool: Being able to view 2 complete windows rather than just a piece off to the side on your main monitor is vastly superior!

Paleo Pete
04-27-2004, 10:52 PM
It was wayyy cool!

You betcha...I've used dual monitors for the past 5 years, and can't wait till I can get another monitor and desk space to set mine back up, you never know how handy it is until you use it for a while.

Here on the forums for example, I used to keep several browser windows open on one side and IRC on the other. Someone types something on IRC and it dings, [Alt]+[Tab] and I can respond, switch back and never touch a mouse...same for word processing. Set up notes in Notepad, open it on one side, word processor on the other. No need to switch, your notes are right there already. The only drawback I found was that dual monitor layout has to be disabled to play OpenGL games. Great when you want to do something that loads the system up and watch a system monitor too...you can see exactly how your machine acts when you open a half dozen applications at once.

Boy did this thread take a detour... :D

Fruss Tray Ted
04-27-2004, 11:23 PM
No turn off the beaten path here, if someone, chose 640x480 (not meee :rolleyes: ) dual monitors would show the missing part of the page (the side scrolling I'm nagging about) but would be hard to read. This is what i'm trying to avoid. I've several monitors here, you'd think I'd have them set up so 'Marty Feldman' could multitask... :D

http://www.humorlinks.com/humornet/files/images/feldman.jpg