PDA

View Full Version : speed of wireless

Ionaf
05-10-2004, 03:11 PM
I would like to know how fast a wireless connection can be today ?
i mean the fastest speed ?
I ask this because i don't know what key words to do a search on them.

Thanks a lot in advance

-F

jabarnutcase
05-10-2004, 05:54 PM
You might take a quick look HERE (http://www.linksys.com/edu/wirelessstandards.asp) for some basic comparisons. Not sure exactly why you want to know this..IE, to answer your own curiosity, or maybe you're thinking of setting up a wireless network? Homework assignment? :p

In any case, take note of the fine print in the link:
note: cable modem service typically averages no more than 4 to 5 Mbps.
Hehe..."No more than 4 to 5 Mbps"...I'd die for speeds like that.

Well, that's pretty silly isn't it. If I were dead, I couldn't make use of my speedy connection now could I? :rolleyes:

Have a look around the rest of the Linksys site too...May answer a few more questions, depending again on your intended applications.

Mark Miller
05-10-2004, 06:15 PM
The fastest speed really depends on your internet connection
I don't know any isp that's over 10meg down and "b at the top is 11. Of course you never get 11 but around 4 or 5.
"g" gets somewhere up near 22 but again the same problem depending on your isp.
Now if you have a t2 or t3 line then you need to worry about how fast your wireless connection is going to go.
I have been using "b" for 6 months with a cable modem and wireless notebook and I have no problem reaching max speed of my isp [2meg down}
there are routers who say they can get speeds up to 108 meg, but what are you going to use it with?
Mark:)

Ionaf
05-10-2004, 06:26 PM
Thanks so much for your answers,

jarbanutcase,
I just wanted to know about its speed, I dont know about internet, thats why i asked, thanks alot.

-F

jabarnutcase
05-10-2004, 06:37 PM
Yep- That's why I made it a point to add that quote from the Linksys site Mark. ;)

And as far as you're quote:
I have no problem reaching max speed of my isp [2meg down} That's actually pretty good.

A lot of ISP's in my neck of the woods Cap their Modems at 1.5mbs down.

I'm just thankful to have broadband as opposed to dial-up....Some of my friends still have dial-up and it's like watching the grass grow.....(With sincere apologies to my PCGuide friends still on dial-up). ;) :p

Mark Miller
05-10-2004, 07:24 PM
Hey Jab,
Yeah the speed is pretty good and there is talk of going to 3.0 down and 384 up.
You should check your isp, they are all raising their speeds.
Mark:)