PDA

View Full Version : Still Not Sure

dangerrat
05-27-2004, 11:50 PM
HOWDY FOLKS!

I'M BACK. WHAT EXACTLY DO I NEED TO GET IF I WANT TO GO WIRELESS AT HOME WITH ONLY ONE COMPUTER [A PRESARIO 900 LAPTOP].

I HAVE A ROUTER AND CARD [802.11b BY D-LINK]. BUT I AM NOT SURE WHAT THE HARDWARE IS "CALLED".

THANKS,

DANGERRAT

risk_reversal
05-28-2004, 05:51 AM
I am sure that more knowlegeable users will also contribute to this thread but this is what I did on my network.
The three components that you need are an ADSL modem, router & WAP.
You can go for a one box solution or multiple box solution.

If I understand your queery correctly taking into account your earlier thread, you now need a wireless access point to send out the signal, since you have the PCMIA card which fits into the laptop.

If you laptop has an ethernet port (RJ45) on it then my advise to you would be as follows (I am assuming that you are adsl enabled).
1. Connect everything up. ie plug in router to power point and to adsl filter & connect router to ethernet card by way of RJ45 cable.
2. Configure the router, usually done by opening up IE and typing in something like http://153.167.0.1 (an example).
Once you can get online then you can implement the WAP. This will involve conecting the wap to a spare ethernet port on the router.

I will stop their as I am not sure I am answering your question.

BTW I have a DG824M, which is an all in one soution. It is hardwired into one pc; I have 2 pc that have PCI wireless cards and a laptop with a PCMCIA card. Everything running very well on a 1Mb connection.

dangerrat
05-28-2004, 05:14 PM
RISK_REVERSAL

THANKS THE RESPONSE IT HELPS ALOT.

I SUPPOSE THIS IS WHY PEOPLE MAJOR IN COMPUTERS IN SCHOOL. ALOT TO LEARN!

I'LL GIVE YOUR SUGGESTION A TRY.

DANGERRAT

Sparks10
05-29-2004, 02:08 PM
Hi dangerrat, just a bit of friendly advise. I notice that you usually post in upper case text which is considered shouting, lower case will do fine. ;)