PDA

View Full Version : Server "Junk"

newton's cat
09-01-2000, 11:35 PM
I've just acquired 17 Seagate ST32430WC (2 Gigs each!) removable SCSI HDs, with 80 pin SCA connectors out of a skip ('Skip' = a large container for removal of industrial and builders rubbish - do you use this word in America?). A search of the Net established that for minimal cost I can purchase an adapter that will allow me to plug them in (one at a time) into my Adaptec 2940UW adapter (also obtained from a dumped server!). So I can now play around with different operating systems - in my 128 Meg machine. (Memory again out of a dumped server!) If I get fed up with Windows I'll just pull out the HD and put Linux in - or any other OS I fancy)

Keep your eyes open for dumped servers folks. They often have some pretty expensive bits and pieces in them - the data about which is usually available on the Net.

Finally - try giving a bit more info in your postings folks. The more data you give, the more the "geniuses" who look in here can demonstrate their superiority over us (To our benefit!) Get them working for you. Give them the facts.

David

Charles Kozierok
09-03-2000, 11:23 AM
I moved this thread from the Tech Support forum

I've just acquired 17 Seagate ST32430WC (2 Gigs each!) removable SCSI HDs, with 80 pin SCA connectors out of a skip ('Skip' = a large container for removal of industrial and builders rubbish - do you use this word in America?).

The word skip is used for a lot of things but not for what you are refering to here. But I think I know what you mean. Here they are usually called "dumpsters".

A search of the Net established that for minimal cost I can purchase an adapter that will allow me to plug them in (one at a time) into my Adaptec 2940UW adapter (also obtained from a dumped server!). So I can now play around with different operating systems - in my 128 Meg machine. (Memory again out of a dumped server!) If I get fed up with Windows I'll just pull out the HD and put Linux in - or any other OS I fancy)

That's pretty impressive... it's true that many people, especially in big companies, toss stuff rather than make the effort to sell it. Very nice, well done (assuming the drives work!)

Keep your eyes open for dumped servers folks. They often have some pretty expensive bits and pieces in them - the data about which is usually available on the Net.

What's the best "free stuff" others have gotten? For me it was probably an air conditioner that only needed a $10 repair and a recharge. Not PC-related, I know. http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/smile.gif

You can save a lot of money, in the long run, by cannibalizing parts from old PCs. If you are building your own you can usually find someone to give you at least the following: keyboard, mouse, cables. Lots of people throw out perfectly usable monitors when they get new ones!

Finally - try giving a bit more info in your postings folks. The more data you give, the more the "geniuses" who look in here can demonstrate their superiority over us (To our benefit!) Get them working for you. Give them the facts.

Yes, I think I am going to modify the "new posting" code to put up some verbiage about how to describe a problem in more detail...

------------------
Charles M. Kozierok ( ixlubb@PCGuide.com )
Webslave, The PC Guide (http://www.PCGuide.com)
Comprehensive PC Reference, Troubleshooting, Optimization and Buyer's Guides...