PDA

View Full Version : Security Tab in XP Home

malcore
08-21-2004, 03:16 PM
I was always frustrated that this feature was not included with XP Home although I've always used XP Pro for myself.

While building a computer for an associate, who already had an XP Home install disc and wished to be able to set certain user restrictions, I stumbled across a great tip from Doug Knox.

I have used this and it works flawlessly, now giving the full security tab in XP Home.

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_home_sectab.htm

deddard
08-23-2004, 06:02 AM
Most welcome - tips like these are always useful. I'd altered the security settings in XP home a while back, but haven't needed to do it for a while - this looks like a great way to go about things.

developer
11-04-2005, 05:40 PM
Power features of XP pro now available in Home Edition
Today XP Professional Permissions available in XP Home.

Using UNGSoft's File Security Manager - absolutely new and unique sofware - you can manage file and folder permissions in Windows XP Home like Windows XP Professional users.

This program allows you edit advanced permissions, change owner of the files, view effective permissions. Interface of the program is like XP Pro Access Control editor. The program includes even more useful features - Security Wizard, fast File Navigator and Secure Deletion. Also you can perform any security tasks over network - just map network drive. This means: You can get POWER of Win XP pro in home! - because main difference between these Operating systems is permissions and security tools.

The program suitable for laptops and home or office PCs with Windows XP Home installed.

Program includes HELP system and convenient wizard - it is very simple in use (wizard).

To read more information/download the program just go to:[Spam link edited]
or download it directly at:[Spam link edited]

As noted, peddling of products is not allowed!

hockey man
11-04-2005, 06:30 PM
developer, so we don't allow the peddling of products. Read the usage agreament. Mods notified.

Whyzman
11-04-2005, 06:47 PM
Hello developer and welcome tohttp://www.pcguide.com/ubb/pcgubb.gif Forums!

You appear very devoted to the software you mentioned. We provide free information to computer users assisting them with problems. And, when we link someone outside of our forum for information we have no monetary interest in the websites or products.

It appears that you do have a monetary interest in promoting this product which we do not allow...

If you would like to stick around and assist folks with their computer problems that would be great. So, for now I have not banned you from further use, but further linking to these products will definitely result in banning you from participating here.

pangea33
11-04-2005, 08:30 PM
This is an absolutely awesome tip. Security is really the only reason that I'm such a stickler for XP Pro. Other perceived limitations of XP Home should be easy to overcome. The main thing that comes to mind is IIS, but I'm planning on going with Apache in the future anyway.

I realize that this tweak will still leave me with problems connecting to a real domain, but I don't have one at home anyway. I'm just looking for a little tighter control over files and directories. For a savings of more than $40, this seems like an easy choice to me. Is there something obvious I am missing that would say this is a bad idea?

Also, I'll be researching more about this, but wanted to affirm the difference between OEM and Retail. Especially since OEM XP is pretty much all you can find on NewEgg. Once I install this software and activate it, I know it's tied to this machine specifically. If I buy a new machine where I'll intend to put the XP, is there a path to get a new activation so that I stay legit? I would be making the old machine Linux only if this comes to pass.

Budfred
11-05-2005, 01:56 AM
When you buy an OEM copy of WinXP from NewEgg, the only thing you don't get is the customer support from MS and I have never found that to be worth the extra money... You can put the WinXP on a new build and activate it, but you will need to make a phone call to explain why the configuration has changed and assure MS that you are not using it on the old computer any more...

Paul Komski
11-05-2005, 03:30 AM
If I buy a new machine where I'll intend to put the XP, is there a path to get a new activation so that I stay legit?
There isnt a path as such but you can be sure that MS will keep reminding you to activate. There is also an activation button under Accessores -- System Tools.

A "new machine" can be just that or just a new mobo upgrade or a variety of hardware changes to an existing installation. Such changes can enforce a reactivation. If this doesnt work via the interet you will be shown an on-screen code and a toll free number to dial and if MS is happy you will be issued with a new activation code to type in. Do all this with the computer turned on beside the phone.

The same thing can happen with any new clean installation on the same or a new pc as soon as you try to activate it. If the MS database recognises your installation as brand new (or as old but on the "original" hardware) then activation is virtulally automatic; if not then you are into the phone call routine.